DB Sport And Scale - Cirrus Moth

Flown my ARTF.

Passed my 'A' test.

Thought I should build a 'proper' model plane.

I've shopped around a bit, and gone and bought a Cirrus Moth from 'DB Sport and Scale'.

I'm hoping that by the time I've built it; I'll be good enough to fly it !

The kit looked surprisingly well made, good quality wood, very nicely laser cut.

Lots of bits in there, that I can't imagine what they're for yet.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27092/IMAG0016.jpg

Can't wait to get started.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/27092/IMAG0017.jpg

Advert

Haven't given much thought yet to covering materials,

Don't want it too shiny, but must be easy to fit,  and tough!

- or even engine.

thinking of a Saito 62(ish) - don't know what the biggest 4-stroke is that it will take.

I don't want it to fly fast - I just prefer a big engine ticking over to a small engine screaming its nuts off.

Any suggestions anybody?

Hi Martyn

DB do make great kits, I'm 2/3 the way through their big spitfre.

I'd be temped to cover in Solartex, I find it easier to use than films and is vey forgiving, and takes paint too if required.

The Saito 62 is a lovely motor I think this is the 60 in a 50 shell so wouldn't look out of place up front.

Keep postnig the pics of your progress.

Andy

Hi Martyn

What a change from the ARTF / FARTf  nonsense...Are you going to add a lot of detail? It's crying out for lots of little special bits...It has to be solartex  what about rib tapes, and stitching underneath? And all these marvelous instruments to make.

bon courage ernie                                                                                                oh yes and lots of pix please

Ernie,

What are rib-tapes?

I said earlier that the quality of the wood was better than I expected. I now have to qualify that and say that the balsa is super, but the plywood bits are a bit cheap and nasty. Several of them are completely delaminated. Might have to rebuild a few (using the supplied ones as a pattern). But I'll try thin CA and clamping them tight first and see what happens. 

Hi Martyn,

Rib tapes cover the stitching that fixes the fabric to the wing ribs. On the full size, they are around 100mm wide, and are doped on. For your model, they can be made from solartex, which tears nicely to give a frayed edge. They really do enhance the quality of the wing...A real anorac, would simulate the stitching below, so that there are little bumps showing through....Mon dieu, sometimes, I  think we are all daft..

I'll try to dig out a photo.....ernie

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to anyone who's been reading this thread, but I'm giving up on trying to upload photos. When I try to upload a picture it freezes my browser. I've tried lots of ways of doing it, and only managed one or two pictures. If any sys admins are reading, your system isn't working well, and people like me will give up using it.

Hello Martyn,Just having a scoot around the web and came across this forum on RCM&E and your build comments regarding the Moth.We are a little taken by surprise and in fact dissappointed to read your comments regarding the ply parts.If you had a problem with any part of the kit, surely we should have been contacted first to have the opertunity to correct it rather than publishing it on a forum to discredit our name.We always try to look after our customers in any way we can, if there are faulty parts in any of our kits, we will replace them.Judy & I work very hard to produce quality aircraft kits, we have and are still working hard in resurrecting this business from near collapse.Your forum comments are quite derogatory and wholly unnecessary regarding cheap ply. We have spent many long hours in sourcing a ply type that will laser cut cleanly, this ply is also more expensive than most comparative plys.You will notice that the ply parts come cut in layout sections, any plywood (no matter what quality) can have a glue fault in it. when this kind of thing occurs, it is much better to talk to the manufacturer in preference to negative comments on a forum.
Kind Regards

Eddie & Judy Stocker
DB Sport & Scale +44 (0) 1348 811293

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 01/06/2009 10:00:22

Eddie,

calm down a bit - reading Martyn's thread has given me an overall positive view of your kits - everything nicely cut, reasonable instructions for this level of build etc.. That his kit came with delaminated ply is an honest comment - ok, he should have contacted you, had the parts replaced, and commented on a positive reaction from your company, but this is the real world. He tried to work round it,and came back with his results - his work-around didn't!

Maybe if you had contacted Martyn off the forum and rectified the problem for him, you would have got the recommendation you want from Martyn in this thread? Cuts both ways you know.

Anyway, it's nice to know we still have a kit manufacturing business run by someone who takes pride in his work, keep it up.

Hi Bob,

Maybe a bit of a knee jerk reaction from me but it is very difficult to accept (CHEAP & NASTY) when we try so hard to get it right, and with a willingness to correct any errors.

Yes it cuts both ways, but Judy & I are also human and we have feelings. Martyn's comments were out of order in this case.

We will keep up the work, we are quite willing to put the time in, most of our customers are really satisfied with our efforts, but you can't please everyone all the time.

Thanks for your comments Bob, it's appreciated.

Eddie,

Sorry to you seem to be so upset.

You said that my 'comments are quite derogatory and wholly unnecessary regarding cheap ply'. I think if you read my comments again you'll find I never mentioned cheap ply at all. And I can't see what I said that was derogatory. 

I think it's fair to say that, on the whole, I am THOROUGHLY DELIGHTED with the kit so far.  I've said on this forum what high standard the parts are.  I think the kit itself is VERY HIGH QUALITY, and incredibly GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY.

This is a discussion thread, not a 'positive opinions only' thread. People want to hear honest opinions, and how we overcome the inevitable obstacles.  I stated that I did get a couple of delaminated ply peices. I fixed it easily, and said what I had to do.

Martyn