FASST or FHSS?

Steve Goodwin

Well hello to you all, I could do with a bit of advice. Been fumbling around with this hobby for many years with some success. Now taking things a little more seriously. Having fun with some good quality foamies! I now need a new tx, after quite a lot of online research decided on Futaba, but I'm a little confused to which 2.4ghz system to go for, don't really want to spend any more than about £150 for a good tx. Betamax or VHS what do you think?

Advert

Nothing wrong with Futaba but if you want to mess around with the Ultra Micro foamies then a Spektrum Tx would be a more appropriate choice, otherwise I would guess at your price point the new Futaba 6J FHSS system is the more modern of the two 6 channel Futaba systems and what the FTR (Futaba Transmitter Ready) planes Ripmax are offering uses.

Ive got a 14SG that can use both, and honestly I cant tell any difference while using either, there are more compatable RX`s for FASST which can be bought cheaper than FHSS ones, But for TX at your price range the FHSS would come better equiped with more model memory etc

Ripmax were meant to be doing bind and fly FHSS models too, but I think its only the foam Acrowot Ive seen available like this so I dont know if that idea has been shelved ?

I bought a 6J in Jan, with an extra rx for £120. I've used it week in week out and I love it. I recently purchased a FrSky Delta 8 rx for it for £19, and this works just as good as the Futaba rx's. The S-FHSS/FHSS where Futaba seem to be heading.

I'm sure that all the Futaba 2.4GHz protocols provide a pretty much bulletproof RF link but the problem may come if upgrading from a low to mid-range radio in that a FASST Tx won't talk to the FHSS receivers in your model.

The solution Futaba seem to be adopting is to make their higher end Txs (14SG up) have user selectable protocols so you can use FHSS & FASST & FASSest Rxs. I can't help feel that this adds cost & complexity.

All that said I'm still a Fuby user & have been since 1982.....I think they make extremely reliable radios although their programming can be a touch obscure sometimes....

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 29/07/2013 22:28:41:

Nothing wrong with Futaba but if you want to mess around with the Ultra Micro foamies then a Spektrum Tx would be a more appropriate choice, otherwise I would guess at your price point the new Futaba 6J FHSS system is the more modern of the two 6 channel Futaba systems and what the FTR (Futaba Transmitter Ready) planes Ripmax are offering uses.

Why are Spektrum recommended for this model sector? Does this suggest that they are not so good at general R/C aircraft?

Posted by Steve Goodwin on 30/07/2013 12:37:22:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 29/07/2013 22:28:41:

Why are Spektrum recommended for this model sector? Does this suggest that they are not so good at general R/C aircraft?

No issues with Spektrum for all RC aircraft, just that the Parkzone Ultramicros all come with a built in Spektrum composite RX, servos and ESC as a single unit which would be impossible to replace, so if these were of interest you would need a Spektrum compatible Tx or Spektrum module. It was your interest in foamies that prompted me to say this.

I think because Spektrum were the first to adopt 2.4GHz technology which particularly suited indoor flight then many manufacturers of small indoor models followed their lead which made Spektrum the "go to" brand for indoor. There are also a lot of cheap "clone" receivers out there for Spektrum systems which are perhaps more suited to indoor than outdoor flying....thumbs up

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/07/2013 14:11:10:

It's probably more that Horizon hobbies own Spektrum, Parkzone and E Flite so it's logical for them to develop their Ultramicro foamies amd helis around their inhouse radio system.

Spektrum is owned by and was developed by Bachmann model railways.

I have been a Futaba user for 25 years. From 35meg to FASSt and now S FHSS. I changed about 6 months ago from 6exFASST to a TJ6 S FHSS because i can see Futaba not supporting the FASST system much longer . I have two of the Futaba recievers £35 each and three of the FR SKY delta 8 £19 plus one Ripmax Futaba £20. All work well. But the Ripmax/Futaba has no failsafe, so do not buy. The offer of a TJ6 with two receivers is still on at certain shops ( ask before buying) cost £119, the TJ6 is much lighter than the 6ex as it only takes 4 cells as against 8. Best TX i have ever had

Posted by Phil Green on 31/07/2013 08:44:55:

Tom:>>Spektrum is owned by and was developed by Bachmann model railways.

Er... that would be 'Spectrum' Tom. A different thing entirely teeth 2

Hi Phil,

I am going by what it says on the back of all Parkzone and E-flight instruction books.

I Quote.

The Spektrum trademark is used by permissiom of Bachmann Industries Inc.