New Spektrum DX9

Robin Kearney

This looks like a nice new transmitter from Spektrum, I wonder if this signals the end of the DX8, they look too close to each other in terms of price/features for them both to exist, given the DX7s isn't far from a DX8 in terms of features.

I'm tempted for the sliders on the back alone, I miss not having those on my DX8.

Advert

Hmmm. Like the idea of voice alerts for the telemetry.

It also looks as if they have improved the menu roller. I find mine on the DX8 perhaps the worst part of the tranny as it is quite slippery and you end up pressing a tad too hard and selecting something instead of moving onto the next menu element.

Seems to have the dual antennae too.

Just noticed. Experience level: Advanced. Lets me out then. crying

Edited By Martin Phillips on 01/08/2013 22:10:50

I rather like the idea of it having a built in receiver that you can bind to another spekky Tx for training.

Talking telemetry would make a big difference too, where I find it almost impossible to look at a screen.
But I'd also want Spektrum to come up with the telemetry sensors I want, rather than the ones they have in the range at present.

Can we tell if there are fingertip sliders for things such as flaps on this one?

Going to get one. Problem with 2.4 tx's is the fragile aerial. My DX8 antenna has been fixed, but sticks out and likely to get damaged again. That's why I like the DX18 and Futaba T6/8J Tx's, they are internal and much better.

Also it's got 250 model memories, internal, and not on the SD card as well, although the SD card is there to backup the models. That'll do for me. The DX18 has only 50, and already upto 41 models on it so, far, the DX8 is full, as the DX6 and Spektrum-Moduled JR PCM9XII . (where after getting the DX9, will decomission the JR set and sell that wil the DX8 tx)

When are they out? at the Nats, maybe?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 02/08/2013 12:09:35

I like the phone analogy, Simon. I just had a random skim through the major manufacturer's products, and the vast majority still have a pivoting antenna. Futaba have an integral one in the T6J but I think that's it for their range. I prefer the arrangement on my DX8 to the carbuncle on the 9/18. It may need more careful handling, but is more compact for storage.

Posted by Simon Chambers on 02/08/2013 22:38:41:

That aerial is stupid! Looks like it would take someone's eye out!

I'm not sure I understand your comment ... surely those nasty telescopic aerials we used on 27 & 35 megs were dreadful by comparison ...

If the DX9 antenna is short, stubby and fixed then that would apear to be great step forward (at least in my humble opinon) unless there is something about this that I'm missing ...

I use a DX6i, on the one hand it is very convenient when 'i use' it ... there is the obvious advantage of 2.4 but also there is no need to remember to extend the telescopic aerial which once extended could be a bit of a hazard in relation to the eyes of anyone flying at the same time !!! Having said that I'm NOT sure the 'articulated' aerial on the DX6i is quite as 'robust' as it could be.

If the DX9 offers a short and stubby aerial without any need for secondary sections which need to be articuakted towards the model the I think this is a step forward.

Edited By avtur on 03/08/2013 21:12:28

Edited By avtur on 03/08/2013 21:14:07

I've read on other US forums that it has 2 aerials for diversity - one obvious vertical one and one horizontal within the plastic handle along the back - not seen anything confirmed by HH but this would be a step forward I imagine.

Skippy

Edited By SkippyUK on 03/08/2013 21:36:32

Wow. That is quite some aerial. I think that alone would annoyingly put me off upgrading. Perhaps it's a grower and in years to come we'll see it as a quantum step forward in r/c man jewellery. At the moment, however, it grates every time I look at it and feels too "designed". What's wrong with functional and no messing about IE like the dx8 aerial?

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking of the "Dr Evil Rocket" scene from Austin Powers?

embarrassed

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 04/08/2013 07:00:33:

i wonder is the wireless trainer something that could be an upgrade to other txs through software or is extra hardware needed inside th tx

According to an HH rep there is additional hardware. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Ben B on 04/08/2013 12:22:00:

Wow. That is quite some aerial. I think that alone would annoyingly put me off upgrading. Perhaps it's a grower and in years to come we'll see it as a quantum step forward in r/c man jewellery. At the moment, however, it grates every time I look at it and feels too "designed". What's wrong with functional and no messing about IE like the dx8 aerial?

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking of the "Dr Evil Rocket" scene from Austin Powers?

embarrassed

I flew with 40 Mhz FM and a 1 meter antenna on my TX for over 30 years.. when I first saw the 2.4Ghz radios I thought they looked totally ridiculous (like a toy) with their small aerials.. It didn't take long until they seemed Normal and now I can't beleive how long the old FM TX aerials were. I thought the same when I first saw the DX18 aerial and also this one on the DX 9 - I guess it will grow on me also.. Kinda looks futuristic anyway. As long as it works well.. I really like the idea of a dual aerial diversity system.

It all looks good to me so I think I'll start saving,

The wireless buddy is a super development as most times me and boy are flying he forgets he's on a lead and runs off with the tranny to get the model resulting me nearly having mine pulled out of my hands.

The rear controls are well overdue and the fixed aerial is a no brainer plus the real practical voice warnings, would you believe sometimes I forget if a flap switch is towards me or away from me and at height it can be confusing.

All in all really looking forward to hearing one in the flesh....