DSX9 defective repair

Chris Theakstone

I have just had my DSX9 repaired at MCGregors (RF board failed), on recieving the unit back the throttle stick felt odd, I eased the back open a little and found what I had expected, the wiring loom entangled in the throttle gimbal. I fixed this and sent an email expressing my dissapointment but got no reply.

I have just put the transmitter on charge for the weekend and smoke billowed out of my charger, on investigation I find the polarity of the charge jack has been changed (JR has the centre pin negative and mine is now the positive)

I am really dissapointed with this as it wasnt a cheap repair (getting on for £150) and even more so that no reply from my email has been recieved.

Looks like the YTS lad did my repair !!

Chris

Advert

Just to update, off we trekked to the hill this morning with a couple of expensive moulded gliders to find the range check is now less than ten paces ! Bound a friends dsx9 to my aircraft and got easily 30 paces. So I'm a lot worse off than before the repair by almost £200 if you include my smoked charger, the repair bill, postage and now more postage.
Strongly worded email sent which will be followed up by an equally strongly worded phone call on Monday .
Moral of story must be don't trust any repaired radio gear, test everything yourself

Feel for you, Chris - none of us would want to be in that position.sad

They should be given some chance to resolve the issue but it must be particularly annoying when the weather is fine and you're itching to fly!

I see this on their Support page:

If you need help with any of our products or have a technical question, the fastest way of contacting our Modeller Support team is to send an email. Messages are distributed to the most appropriate member of staff and most will be answered the same day.
Given that it's a holiday period and staffing may be reduced, how long has this been going on?

It'll be interesting to see how MacGregor respond....

Pete

I contacted them as soon as I got the set back on Monday by email and have had no reply, tried phoning Friday to find they close early on Fridays ( part time business ?)

emails have been sent direct to the lady I have been dealing with for the original repair.

this set could not have been tested before being sent back ( I believe they use an outside contractor for repairs)

I think that it's probably fair to say that if it was a Spektrum radio, all it would have cost you regardless of age would have been £11 to send it to HH. You can't get better than that for service and this should be considered when buying new kit.

I had a newish JR PCMXII tx go down a few years ago. Was the 35Mhz unit, before 2.4 took off. Basically the display went dead when I came to fly again.Bought a new one off Al's as a replacement and kept the other as spare.

Bit later on, on another forum, I was offering the radio as spare donor. Someone from Macgregor was intestested why my radio failed and offered to fix it free of charge - including postage just to see what had failed.

Got the radio back with a new display, rf board and changed the sticks - free of charge. Was quite impressed, and eventually upgraded it to Spektrum 2.4 module, which I still use today. (Until the DX9 comes to force the JR set into retirement)

Edited By Paul Marsh on 18/08/2013 10:27:32

After this experience it will take a lot to convince me to stay with JR radio, I love the quality feel but the support is important. I have now lost confidence in both the TX and the support so guess its time to change DX18 ? Even more money but I've figured I've already wasted the price of a new DX8 on the failed repair so in for a penny etc

TX now back with MacGregors, including the charger , after a phone call to them yesterday afternoon ( no replays to emails) a courier turned up and collected it. I'd like to think I would get it back quickly but I'm still looking for a possible change.DX18 looks favourite @ £449.99 from Steve webs ( shame as Inwoods are closest, wonder if they will price match ?)

Edited By Chris Theakstone on 20/08/2013 15:44:29

Received my DSX9 back this afternoon , I had a call from MacGregor yesterday telling me there was nothing wrong with it !, apart  from the reversed polarity charge socket ( a new charger has been supplied).so I have just completed the following tests using every model I own and receivers ranging from AR500, 2x AR 6100 2x AR7000, 2x AR6255, 2x AR8000, using my transmitter the range varied from 10 to 15 paces. Using a borrowed DXS9 all but one exceeded 30 paces.

i was told yesterday by Macgregor that they wouldn't guarantee use with Spektrum receivers and only to use JR recievers ! So mine is useless but an identical one works fine, but according to the report mine is perfect when using a JR reciever.

Edited By Chris Theakstone on 23/08/2013 16:13:15

Posted by Chris Theakstone on 23/08/2013 16:10:57:

Received my DSX9 back this afternoon , I had a call from MacGregor yesterday telling me there was nothing wrong with it !, apart from the reversed polarity charge socket ( a new charger has been supplied).so I have just completed the following tests using every model I own and receivers ranging from AR500, 2x AR 6100 2x AR7000, 2x AR6255, 2x AR8000, using my transmitter the range varied from 10 to 15 paces. Using a borrowed DXS9 all but one exceeded 30 paces.

i was told yesterday by Macgregor that they wouldn't guarantee use with Spektrum receivers and only to use JR recievers ! So mine is useless but an identical one works fine, but according to the report mine is perfect when using a JR reciever.

Edited By Chris Theakstone on 23/08/2013 16:13:15

Just a thought - where are you doing these tests? Could you be experiencing swamping from your wireless LAN or other RF source if you're testing it at home?