What module to buy?

Hi Can anyone give me any ideas which module to buy? I have a 35mhz Hitec Prisma 7 TX and I want to change it to 2.4. I've also got a 2.4 Spectrum 6 which I'm using Orange DSM2 receivers. Can I get a 2.4 module that will work with my Hitec prism 7 and my DSM2 receivers. I hope some one can help and if you have the address or link where I can get a module from that would be great. Or would it just be better to buy a new Receiver that's a better spec than the spetrum?

Thanks Barry

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Hobby King may be your answer. This module fits the Prism 7 and comes with a receiver as well.

Or if you want Telemetry, get the DF version. It doubt it wll run your Orange receivers but I decided it wasn't important to use the receivers I already had when you can get virtually a new system for this price.

The receivers for the FF version are only about $18 and the DF are slightly more being Telemetry. Both TX modules are the same so if you want Telemetry then just buy a DF receiver.

Just plug it straight in. I just bought one for my Hi Tec Optic 6

Edited By Panther1 on 08/09/2013 04:37:57

I think the time for modules is passed. Better to get a dedicated 2.4 transmitter, and if using Spektrum would get Model Match, where you don't with the module.

Also Hitec's 2.4, you get voltage telematary with the Optima rx's and further telemetary if using a dedicated tx. You still, however get basic voltage warning via the module, but not displayed on the tx screen if using a module.

You have a wide number of options available because most modules (not all) have the same connectors as Futaba, for example I have several old futaba 35Mhz transmitters with HiTec 2.4Ghz Spectra modules fitted. I get full telemetry from these via the HiTec HTS-Navi which is a telemetry receiver you can plug into a laptop which is a lot more legible than any other form of presenting the data, especially when overlaying the GPS on Google Earth.

HTs-Navi

Incidently the more recent Hitec Optic6 is available in module and non module (sport) versions and according to Hitec's Amercian website the Optic 6 Sport (the non module version) has been discontinued. The Hitec products in the UK are the ones intended for the American market.

Again if you want to stick with Hitec, don't forget the Eclipse 7 Pro. Unfortunately it seems this is only available as a combi pack with two receivers - if you want the receivers it's good value though.

Another thing worth considering is the fitting of the receivers antennas into models - some receivers have satellites which though small can be a headache to find space to fit in, some have two antennas and some have just one. So the target installation may guide you towards a particular manufacturer.

Hope that's useful in your determinations!

Edited By Ian Jones on 08/09/2013 16:49:31

Posted by Barry Smith 5 on 18/08/2013 16:13:00:

Hi Can anyone give me any ideas which module to buy? I have a 35mhz Hitec Prisma 7 TX and I want to change it to 2.4. I've also got a 2.4 Spectrum 6 which I'm using Orange DSM2 receivers. Can I get a 2.4 module that will work with my Hitec prism 7 and my DSM2 receivers. I hope some one can help and if you have the address or link where I can get a module from that would be great. Or would it just be better to buy a new Receiver that's a better spec than the spetrum?

Thanks Barry

I think Barry is looking for a DSM2 compatible module, though personally I would ditch the DSM2 and go for FlyinBrian's suggestion of FrSky 'D' series module and receivers. I've had 3 1/2 years using them exclusively and no issues, plus the built in signal level and RX battery level monitoring with audible low level warning is a nice feature.