painting my tony nijhuis spitfire

woody

Hi just thought i would share a few pictures of my 46" Tony Nijhuis spitfire its been covered with 25gsm glass cloth and Eze cote,its just got a light dusting of primer over it at the moment im going to have a play with doing panel lines. The control surfaces are dry fitted at the moment, am i best painting it before of after they have been fitted? the hinges are dubro pinned ones so i suppose they may get clogged with paint!

dscn1181.jpgdscn1180.jpgdscn1179.jpg

Advert

hi Woody, wow, it looks great. I would definately paint it in bits, and then assemble it. That way you get a good finish where the control surfaces join the airframe. Are you going to spray it? and what about markings, and weathering? It's got to be dirty

ernie

Well - just to put the otherside - I'd assemble it. Especially if I was spraying. A tiny dab of valseline on the hinge points will stop any paint clogging them.

If it was all one colour - then I'd leave the control surfaces off. But I guess its going to be camouflage - yes? If so I think you will get a better overall scheme and edge match by doing it with the control surfaces in place!

So, there you go. Two posts from two aeromodellers (Ernie and me) and two totally different opinions! Who said the forum doesn't encompass all views. wink 2

BEB

Well thanks guys

It will be sprayed i have some airbrushes and a compressor. and i picked up a badger 200 airbrush at the cosford show for £10!!

i know its probably not correct for a mk9 but i was going to paint it pru blue!! (unless somone can change my mind).

Ive bought some tamiya masking tape and high build primer to experiment with panel lines

and yes Ernie it will be dirty, going to have to learn how to weather it!!

ps BEB your typhoon looks great

cheers Woody

Hi Phil

Thanks yes i will be adding invasion stripes, i will post the info on detaling bear in mind im still learning!

for panel lines i was going to use tamiya masking tape and spray over it with high build primer then remove the tape

to leave a ridge, just going to try things ive read in magazines and books really.

cheers Woody

Sorry Phil I forgot to answer, yes Eze cote was very easy to use and gave a nice finish, all I did was brush it on

It took three cotes to fill the weave, it's not as ding proof as epoxy but its tough enough to take knocks when moving it around the hanger!

Cheers woody

Posted by woody on 02/09/2013 13:33:49:

Hi Phil

Thanks yes i will be adding invasion stripes, i will post the info on detaling bear in mind im still learning!

for panel lines i was going to use tamiya masking tape and spray over it with high build primer then remove the tape

to leave a ridge, just going to try things ive read in magazines and books really.

cheers Woody

It would be very useful to hear how you get on because you are "still learning". The experts sometime make things look easy but only because they have had years of practice. It will be very good to hear the experience from someone at the same level as me

Right here we go with panel lines!! I have cut some tamiya masking tape into 1 and 2mm strips and stuck it onto the wing, i have used a few books just as reference but it is by no means scale all measurements are approximate,this is just for me to learn on hopefully it will look ok. I am goint to paint over the lines with halfords high buid primer i was planning on removing the tape but i have read you can leave it on any ideas which would be best?dscn1182.jpgan dscn1183.jpgdscn1184.jpg

Looking good. I'd remove the lines myself. At that scale, you are looking for an effect rather than a perfect replica. On my 63 inch build, I sprayed some raised pannels rather than panel lines if you see what I mean! I also used a dress makers pricking out wheel to give the hint of some rivet lines. If you take your time, you can even reuse the tape for panel outlines.

Here is my build painted in Crown emulsion mixed with screen wash. Mine is rendered as a mkXI - G-MKXI which is very similar to a MK IX. The invasion stripe mean she is easy to see, but if you want to save some time the real aircraft is now in a new blue only scheme.

I'd paint the hinged parts separately myself, as I think you will find it very difficult to get an even finish in the gaps if you don't.

Graham i think your right i will remove the tape before the final colour.

I have read your build log in the past but just read it again its very good and what a lovely model! here is a pic of the paints i am thinking about Tim from model markings gave me the dulux paint code for pru blue so i went and got it mixed up at homebase it looks good but may be a little light, he did say it wasnt spot on two shades out i think! which i will mix with screen wash just as you did.

The other option is tamiya xf18 pru blue as its not a perfect scale model im not worried about colour being slightly out, so if anyone han help with the choise please do so!!

Thanks for the tip ernie i had read this about graphite so may give it a go!

dscn1190.jpg

I agree with Graham, build your paint up and then allow to harden thoroughly. Once done then remove the panel line tapes.

You will be surprised at how effective the tape is once you remove it and see your nice new panels all clearly marked out. Now is the time to do any rubbing down on the lines if needed before applying your final colours.

I tried this myself recently for the first time in over 30 years of building RC models and am really pleased with the results. I used 1mm tape from a UK supplier on ebay. He sells different widths in 5 metre rolls. Very cheap too and perfect for this sort of work.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Its now been sprayed with dulux emulsion mixed with Halfords screenwash as per this forum,

its coming on quite well and I am pleased with the results there's a bit more to do roundels ect and then I will look at weathering it as it looks a bit to clean!

cheers woody

Looks really good Woody well done thumbs up

I am intending to do a piece on weathering in a future scale matters column, its a fun thing to do, but oh so easy to overdo....

A PRU Spit would have been kept fairly clean and may even have been polished, their only defence was speed... very brave pilots

Get yourself registered on RCSB (its free) and take a look at this article produced by Stephen Carr wink 2

There is also a useful doc that Todd has created here wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/10/2013 12:46:28

Thanks Danny

I will take a look at those articles.

A piece in the mag would be great, cant remember the last time I saw such an article in rcm&e.

I've been looking on the net seems like chalk is a favourite? Anything would help what paints and colours ect.

Cheers woody.