Hi all

trik

Hi everyone, I am new to the hobby. I live in east midlands, between Doncaster and Worksop.

Years ago while I was still at school I wanted a radio controlled airplane,but never could afford one.

I tried rc cars for a while, but now I want to get myself an airplane. I am considering electric foamies at the moment., as a cost effective way into the hobby. I am also shopping around for a controller. Still early days yet!!

Patyes

Advert

Hi Pat!

As BEB and Ade have said, you have come to the right place for advice and even inspiration....

When it's late in the day and a building problem is doing your head in, just post your problem and I'll bet its a problem solved in a jiffy (whatever one of those is...).

You will often feel that you need to ask a question that you may think others will laugh at but, as they say, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.... but it is true.

Good luck with the hobby and we all look forward to hearing of your exploits.... have you got any models in mind?

Bob

Thanks for dropping in guys, no I havent got any firm ideas yet, but I think I am tending towards an electric powered glider of some description, or maybe a self build such as some of the models the "flite test" chaps designed..

Gyrocopters fascinate me too, so maybe something along those lines.

As for radio gear the flyskys look good value,but all depends on funds.

what type of airplane will keep my interest as my ability and confidence increases? I am tending to think about an electric glider of some description, as I would like to maximise the amount of "air time" I can get from my model.

Is there much difference between a glider used for slope soaring and a glider used for thermal soaring?

Can anyone recommend any specific aircraft I can research?

Many thanks

Pat indecision

Biggest difference between slope & thermal gliders is the wing loading Pat......thermal soarers are more lightly loaded so they will fly slower & stay up longer......some slope models have wing loadings way in excess of large warbirds but these are usually flown in very strong winds by hooligans....wink 2

Glider purists will probably beat me sensless with rolled up copies of BARCS News but I wonder if the Hobbyking Phoenix 2000 might float your boat? In terms of bang for your buck its hard to beat & its very popular amongst the members of this forum.....in fact we did wonder about making ownership of a Phoenix 2000 compulsary before you could join. (no not really....teeth 2)

Search for "Phoenix 2000" in the search box....

Thanks for the ideas guys, I've been having a look at the Phoenix 2000 on YouTube, looks to be exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. I also found mention of a Phoenix Evolution,which also looks good. Does anyone have any experience of this model, and do you know if it is still available? Does it have any drawbacks? I haven't been able to find a retailer for this model, but there is a supplier "Lanyu", (now Volantexrc). It comes with two sets of wings, one shorter set for aerobatic flying, and a longer set for soaring, but it looks to be based on the Phoenix family of gliders.

The skyrider, looks similar, but has a pusher prop, not a nose prop. is there any advantage/disadvantage to these arrangements?

Thanks for your time. A lot of questions I know, but it seems that every answer gives rise to a dozen more !!