Elliptical wing C of G

Tony B-622

Hi all could some explain to me in lamens terms how I find the C of G in an elliptical wing as I would like to double check the destructions suggestion I've scoured the net but can't come up with any thing fool proof, if it helps it's for the Escale Seafire and at the current setup which is.......

Manual has cog at 90mm from leading edge I have an ASP 1.20 with a 6v nimh at the front and not that it weighs much an on board glow, now if this is correct I would need approx 11 ounces in the spinner.

Any help from you lovely people would be greatly appreciated as I'm now desperate to give this bird it's maiden, thanks

Tony

p.s I was fairly tight with the glue at tail end

Advert

With a bit of old wall lining paper and a pencil you soon could have a good enough plan for the purpose. You only need a half span plan so it may even fit on a single piece with the model assembled so that you can capture the tail area and moment on a single drawing.

However, it doesn't look as though the reviewer above found any real problem with the maker's recommended position - unless the control sensitivity, which he resolved by reducing the movements, was due to a rearward position? I'd use his experience as a starting guide...

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/09/2013 10:29:09

You could take a very simplistic view on this and simply find the mean (average) wing chord across the span and set the cg between 25 and 30% this will give you a pretty safe starting point and can be fined tuned later to personal preference. This assumes a Spitfire types plan view and no sweep. For the tip I would suggest measure the chord length a few inches inboard from the tip say 3 or 4 inches, measure the centre chord, add the two togther and divide by two, then fined a chord that length on the wing that corresponds to that answer and mark the 25 to 30% position. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 15/09/2013 09:12:34

No Lindsay, I didn't.
I assumed that the asymmetry of the elipse is designed to distribute the chordwise centre of lift equally from tip to root to tip - i.e. in a straight line from tip to tip.

Martin is correct if it's just considered from the geometric POV. However taking the cg simply as a % of root chord will bring it forward a fraction compared with calculating the true mean chord. But the difference is so insignificant (and in the "safe" direction) that it's not worthwhile calculating what is an aproximation anyway & then using that as the basis for an estimated initial cg.