rarely modelled aircraft

I went to the Steam and Country Fair at Shuttleworth Old Warden yesterday.

As part of the ticket price you could also get into the aircraft museum. Bargain. After looking at all of the wonderful aircraft in the museum I was wondering what aircraft do you know of is rarely modelled which you'd like to see fly?

Edited By Sarge on 15/09/2013 08:24:30

Advert

That's the kind of question that, when asked on the static model forums, tends to run for 20 pages or more without conclusion!.

Any British civil aircraft short of airliners would be my choice. But then I build, I don't buy, so I guess that doesn't count as you are probably asking about kit production.

Martin

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/09/2013 09:58:06:

I'd like to see another model of this aircraft **LINK**

I say another, as I did see a fellow Club member build one some 25 odd years ago. From memory it was around 50 to 60 inch wingspan, and had an OS .35 up front. It did fly, but the handling characteristics were a bit peculiar.

There is a kit available in the US for this aircraft, and the producer claims to have ironed out all the funnies. It's a strange shape though, and probably evolved out of the search for that elusive wonder weapon.

Sarge

Sarge

Ken Sheppard from that other magazine has built a large scale model of the BV141; it's in the >20Kg class and has recently passed its exemption; it will almost certainly be flying at the North London MFC large model event in October.

I built and flew a Blohm & Voss BV141B about 15 years ago from a Nick Ziroli plan. It was 54" wingspan and was alright to fly but a bit sensitive on the elevator.

It was pictured in RCM&E magazine and I sold it about 3 years ago after looking at it and deciding that it would be difficult to convert to electric as I had converted completely from I.C.

I have been trying to sell replica workshop manuals for the Luftwaffe BV141B on ebay if anyone is interested.

Well, if you fancy a challenge - you could always try one of these,..

christmas_bullet.jpg

It was known as the Christmas Bullet - named after its designer Dr William Christmas. I think it would be fair to say that Dr Christmas was a man that might be described as somewhat "economical with the truth"! He cliamed to be a sucessful aircraft designer with several previous sucessful designs behind him - but no evidence was ever found of these.

The bullet was an "innovation" as it had no struts - which Dr Christmas held only generated unnecessary drag! It also had no ailerons - instead depending on wing-warping for control. He held that it was necessary for an aircraft's wings to be flexible - another reason for not having struts!

Somehow he managed to get some considerable private financial backing as well as support from the US government! Proof prositive I would say that there really is one born every minute. Sadly he also got a test pilot - needless to say the Bullet's wings collasped on its maiden flight, killing the poor pilot.

Somehow Christmas continued on to build another Bullet - which makes me personally suspect that he wasn't so much "bad" as "mad"! Part of his fund raising effort for this second prototype revolving around a claim that the first reached a speed of 197mph before its demise. That might be the case - vertically downwards. The second Bullet went the way of the first - again sadly killing its pilot.

So far its; Christmas two, Aviation nil!

Christmas went on campaigning for his "innovative design" but thankfully built no more aeroplanes. With modern materials of course a Bullet could be made that the wings would stay on! It would be interesting to see if it would then fly?

BEB

Fancy you digging that one up BEB. I read about it years ago, probably in RAF Flying Review? Now you've done that, someone is likely to see it as a challenge and make it work! If anyone's interested in twisty bendy wings that don't break, what about a Vickers Windsor ? I don't think I've ever seen a model of one, but I bet it would fly well and certainly look different. The undercarriage would be interesting. Eric Brown said that it flew along serenely with the wings flapping up and down about 10 feet! Vickers planned at one time to fit it with Rolls Royce Clyde turbo-props. Interesting or what!