52" WS Depron Blackburn Buccaneer Pusher Scratchbuild

Chris, the bucc makes a great subject to model. To answer your question about whether or not the model is underpowered, i can say quite emphatically that it doesnt suffer from lack of power!.

i use plenty of power for take off but thereafter, tend to fly at around 3/4 throttle. At 800w output and weighing as little as it does, power to weight is more than ample.

ok cheers for that, the bucc does make a great model. the model I have in my head that I am thinking of building is a Rockwell b-1b. im torn between a pusher prop (cheaper and easier) or 4 EDF units (the sound and I love edf's). the edf units I have been looking at with 4 of them I should get about 3.5kg of static thrust, but I need 4 esc's and will need some huge huge lipos to power it. on the flip side the pusher would make life much easer and a dam sight cheaper. which would you recommend?

Chris, the Rockwell would make for an interesting build especially if you go down the working swing-wing route. Edf v pusher? You will probably have noticed that all my builds are pushers. I know that the purists out there will have their views on how the prop' spoils the model and I understand their point of view . It is purely from a cost point of view that I build pushers. As for your dream build, why not go for twin Edf with 2 dummy pods on the Rockwell? If you're careful with your weight, I'm pretty sure a twin Edf setup would do the job. As for building it as a pusher, it's shape does lend itself very well with the tapered fuselage rear.

good luck in your build whichever you choose.

Tony, lol, it's not a criminal offence!

regards Roy

Thanks for all your Help and advice Daz,

I have decided to take the plunge as you Depron Daz, Electriflier, Simon Chaddock have given me the inspiration to join the depron bashing gang! I am going to build a Curtiss Hawk 75A from an old plan it is a 42" wing span so nothing too big to start off ...............................I will need loads of help and advice as I'm not sure what power set up I need and it will be my first attempt at depron which isn't a flat build. I wont hijack your thread Roy but in then next day or so I will put in a link to my build. Please add it as a bookmark as I will be screaming for help! This will also be my first build blog!.

You guys have really amazed me with the models that you have produced and if I can get only a tiny bit as good as you I will be really pleased.

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

Roy

Posted by Roy Mundy on 31/10/2013 13:38:32:

Thanks for all your Help and advice Daz,

I have decided to take the plunge as you Depron Daz, Electriflier, Simon Chaddock have given me the inspiration to join the depron bashing gang! I am going to build a Curtiss Hawk 75A from an old plan it is a 42" wing span so nothing too big to start off ...............................I will need loads of help and advice as I'm not sure what power set up I need and it will be my first attempt at depron which isn't a flat build. I wont hijack your thread Roy but in then next day or so I will put in a link to my build. Please add it as a bookmark as I will be screaming for help! This will also be my first build blog!.

You guys have really amazed me with the models that you have produced and if I can get only a tiny bit as good as you I will be really pleased.

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

Roy

Good for you Roy.

Start up your blog, and we'll keep an eye on it. If there are any issues just ask, and if we see anything that we think should be done differently we'll no doubt pipe up and advise. I'm no master builder, far from it, but take your time and plan ahead. Build it to fly, not to crash, so keep it light, and you'll be surprised just how small you can go with the motor. From the outset, I'd stick my neck out and say you'll be looking at around a 30-32 sized motor, maybe even as small as a 28, 3s 1800-2200 mah battery, 10+ mins of steady flight easily!

I have an 800mm (31" ) foam combat spitfire **LINK** running a 22mm motor, on 1500 3s, flies for 15+ mins. I get bored and land her with a few more mins left in the pack.

Best wishes, and get bashing that Depron!

Edited By Depron Daz 393 on 31/10/2013 19:31:26

Edited By Depron Daz 393 on 31/10/2013 19:31:53

• 2 weeks later...