Ben Buckle Fire Brand

pfirebrand_01_lrg.jpgdscf1417.jpgdscf1416.jpgdscf1415.jpgdscf1414.jpgdscf1413.jpgAs a winter project I decided to go vintage as they are my fav models ,just received the plane from BB.and as is the case couldn't keep my hand off it and started the fuse which is nearly done apart from installing the undercart positions for fuel tank and radio .being a narrow model things will get a tad tight in there , but should ok.put a couple of pics on to kick it off.and I will put others one as and when I do them.meanwhile if any one has any helpful comments that would be good .The picof the red model is a BB pic and not mine.

Advert

To me this type of model is what it's all about ,obviously each to their own .but you can't beat the old timers and to see a large one so impressive.I did have a Record Breaker which was my first attempt at vintage building,I learnt a lot from that build .If I get stuck i'll come and see you guys.cheers Bernie.thumbs up

• 3 weeks later...

Couple more pics from the F/B build.front under cart legs attached just to add the support braces at the back. also nearly finished the fin & rudder I didn't keep to the plan with these I took the basic shape and added spares across the balsa shape .I think it's coming on nicely .nerd

Very nice project Bernie.

Just to fill in a few gaps.

The Firebrand was published in Aeromodeller in May 1941. I have a lot of early Aeromodeller magazines, but that one is missing!

Dear old Ben (Buckle) might have mentioned diesel power, but obviously the original can't have been diesel powered in 1941. It must have been spark ignition, and quite possibly with a home made engine. There weren't many commercial engines around at the time, and power model flying was theoretically banned in England during the war.

brokenenglish thanks for that bit of info .i am putting an ic engine in as per pic ,i only mentioned diesel motor because it said so on the plan also i hav'nt gone to plan on the tail feathers as the fin and rudder have ribs to build up the shape hence what you see now .if it does not work then i will do the build up job as per plan .it was to be a winter project but as you know with most modellers you get started and can't stop frownso only got the maneplane to do but not going to rush that just yet i will cover the fuse and tail plane ,i do have a practicly new jen 47 i am going to put in ..i do bits and bobs to it every day being retired .thanks for you'r interest .Bernie. PPS The motor in the fuse in the pic is an old OS 40 i was going to use .then the jen 47 became avaiable from one of my other models (Trainer) so why not use it .

Edited By Bernie on 24/11/2013 16:25:57

PatMc. I finally found my model amongst all the mags in the index .I wish I had known about this mine of info before I got started on my model I could have used some of the build tips ,ie: double firewall and formers all the way down the fuse things the plan don't specify I might have to rethink it and amend the build . thank you for the lik very greatfule indeed .I know most of it was beefing everything up because it was free flight and was prone to heavy contact with tera firma.frown

• 11 months later...