Classifieds warning

Bob Wells

Advert

A completely different email address appeared when i moused over the email address at the bottom . I havent included this email address The language in the reply was strange to say the least. Very poor English

Dear Seller,
Am interested in the immediate purchase of your ITEMS, I will
like to know if the ITEMS is still available for sell, Let me know the
LAST PRICE which you will be selling for me
Get back to me as soon as possible.
Tracy

It isn't indicative of a virus but rather a scam, as Peter says.

Many have fallen for the £2000 cheque scam.

The thing which bothers me is how do they fall for it? It is obvious that it's a scam but folk still try to cash the cheque then send them a return cheque or cash for the difference to find that the cheque they cashed is fake.

The simple answer is "GREED"

YOu will be offered a couple of hundred pounds for your self.

That is what the policeman told me when I reported my case to him. I did because I was interested in how the scam worked. I said that I was amazed that anyone was so stupid. He told me that a man in our village got taken for £5000.

I had offered a radio model in a classified and was told that the prospective buyer wanted to send me £3000.

Oh Yes, full of tricks!

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/10/2013 09:14:20:

The simple answer is "GREED"

YOu will be offered a couple of hundred pounds for your self.

That is what the policeman told me when I reported my case to him. I did because I was interested in how the scam worked. I said that I was amazed that anyone was so stupid. He told me that a man in our village got taken for £5000.

I had offered a radio model in a classified and was told that the prospective buyer wanted to send me £3000.

Oh Yes, full of tricks!

You can't cheat an honest man.

Andy

Bob W - as already stated, it's a well-know scam and most likely not a virus.

If the email displays one thing in a link, but when clicked does something different, then that is trivailly easy to do - and nothing to do with viruses. For instance where do you think you will go to if you click here; www.bbc.co.uk? Now try it - don't worry, it's perfectly safe!

In the same way scammers often try to get you to log onto your online banking site, but actually take you somewhere of their choosing instead...