Avro 707A

Hi, is Cyril going to show any of the construction of his great Avro 707A here? I would like to see how he shoehorned the wiring in past the intake system.

I have just got to build this machine. I saw the real thing as a kit at a couple of military airshows in the '50s and like the look of it. I have never worked in Depron or foam so it will be a culture shock to me. Cyril says in his article that it should not be too difficult to get to grips with.

Anyway, today I rummaged about and built an 850mm hot wire cutter out of oddments in my garage and workshop. I found that 12 volts through a (Gibson) 0.012" guitar string (used) worked a treat at about 2.5 Amps.

I must nip out to the local bulders merchants and buy some new foam.

Next I will make the ply formers prior to cutting a fuselage.

Edited By Dane Crosby on 26/10/2013 21:07:41

In the mag pro-plan article, Cyril makes reference to 'Balance as necessary to get the C of G in the position shown on the plan...' Unfortunately I cannot see any reference to this critical piece of information on the plan. On page 66 the photo caption says, 'The C of G isn't absolutely critical so don't fret too much in this respect'. So not much help there then- but I will try not to fret!

Great model though, I will watch your build blog with interest Dane.

• 1 month later...

I too spotted the Cof G issue and have written to the mag asking for inf.

be interesting to see the reply

I intend building this next year once I have completed a series of winter repairs but it looks really a good looking model and hopefully will do it justice in my first attempt.

Like many it will be a new experience with the new materials.

Has anyone out there started - hows it going?

Mike E

Many thanks Mowerman for the info. I have gone through the December addition and checked page 9 and cannot find reference to the Avro update - maybe as I get mine in the post there was a later correction during the print run.. Anyway many thanks that solves a problem and I am on the way to getting the bits and pieces for a Spring start.

I going to use the 10-25 e flite retracts as the weight of under 4 lbs seems to be within the retract spec. Hope this will be ok?

Mike E