Can-Doo - the new design from Nigel Hawes

I have many hundred of flights if not thousands of flights using Fasst, on 35 & 2.4 6ex sets and also with 8fg, never had anything that could be remotely blamed on the sets.

I would look else where, from linkages, broken wires, or failed ESC, particularly the BEC. Although the problem could be anything.

Advert

It cant be linkages Erfolg as I lost everything, motor stopped and no control at all, plus after the crash everything that was still attached was working eg motor and ailerons. the front was totally smashed so not sure about elevators but servos seem ok and were both still attached to the horns although both were ripped out of the elevator by the crash.

cant be a broken wire as again all was working after the crash. I guess it could be a bad connection somewhere but as I said I tried giving everything a good shake and a pull about but all still worked ok.

I have been using my Futaba gear for about 8 years with no problems so I am at a bit of a loss to know what happened at the moment.

I intend to fit the receiver in an old model that I never fly anymore and is very tatty and try it in that, after I have first flown it with the receiver it is now fitted with. that should tell me if its a transmitter or receiver fault.

I wonder if you are using Deans plugs because I,ve found that after some use the spring that makes the spades connect properly loses its tension and causes momentary loss of voltage and the plating wears away from the contact areas, therefore I have changed to 3.5 & 4mm and have no further problems.

I think you may be right Brian, I had a similar experience fortunately I was able to regain control before crashing on detailed examination I/we fond a weak soldered connection held in place (very tightly I may add) by the heat shrink insulation, re soldering the connection rectified the problem.

Check all the connections Cliff this may be the issue.

These things can happen as I was having my first flight of a junkers, trimmed out and was flying perfectly when it suddenly decided to spiral from a good height with no response from the radio. Everything was still working perfectly on arrival and the Junkers was placed in our obligatory first flight bin bag. All the components are happily flying in different aircraft with no signs of any failure after bench testing so who knows what goes wrong sometimes?

Could it be significant that the loss of control and motor cut occurred after your full power pull-up, when the ESC and more importantly the BEC, was under maximum load? If the BEC cut out when it got hot you would experience an instant radio failure but it would have cooled down and reset after you picked up the pieces. So I would agree with Erfolg, either the BEC fault or perhaps a dry joint somewhere. You could use a multimeter to test the resistance of the joints perhaps.

Hi Colin,

Yes I might make another as I loved it so much but I will try and finish Connie first and a couple of other projects I have on the go.

Piers I doubt it could be the ESC as it has had hundreds of flights in this model without problems. I do use deans connectors so that could be an issue to check. I wonder if there is a connection somewhere that was maybe damaged in the first crash. It did seem as if there was a total power loss when I think about it as I suddenly lost everything.

One other thing that occurs to me is that it was at my new club where i have only flow a couple of times. we are near a full size airfield and i just wonder if there is something there that could interfere with the signal? a bit of a long shot I know, I will have to ask my new club mates if there is any history of signal problems.

I find most of accidents/incidents, both explained and unexplained are a direct result of my incompetence.

Sometimes i have found that something akin to a fatigued soldered joint. Thankfully most of these reveal themselves as i tug at a connector.

Well I have had two flights yesterday with my F18 and one with my Lancaster, which are both on the same transmitter as my Can Doo with no problems so it seems as if its not the tx.

Only remains now to test the rx in my old model, but I am pretty sure now that it was probably a esc or connection problem somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

hi I built the can-do when the plan first apeared and have had many flights since , three of our club members also built it after seeing mine I have lost the pic of the build but here is a pic of it with three other models from the RCME free plan range

the Clean Sweep , the Harliquin and the last the Vector all fly very well and always liked at the fieldp5172961.jpg at the club

Ray

Edited By unleaded on 03/07/2016 03:49:28

Edited By unleaded on 03/07/2016 03:50:01

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all!

Finally the maiden flight was accomplished! Last Saturday at a very appropriate venue - the meeting of the 65th anniversary of the Lisbon Aeromodeliing Club. And it won a distinction: the most radical design present!!

No flying pics yet, but see it here about to be launched. I'm holding the Tx. and H. Ladeira is about to send the model skyward.

Encontro_65 anos do cal_poceirao_23set17_modelo paulo peres-2.jpg

Flew slower than I thought it would be - my heart thanked! One minute or so into the flight, the horizontal stabilizer became detached and was being held by the bellcrank only. A landing without issues occurred and it's been repaired by now.

Another flight will happen ASAP! Stay tuned!

On ther same day my Aermacchi AM3C Bosbok also maidened. See it on the appropriate thread.

After many flights I uprated mine to a 3000Kv motor and wow what a difference, I called it my rocket on rails. I had to fit undercarriage on mine as we fly off concrete. It did not lift off one day due the angle of attack with the air and it disintegrated at the end of the runway but will be building another with the mods incorporated that I tried on the Mk1. Overall a fantastic flyer.

It'd be nice to see your model, Colisace. I also thought about installing an undercarriage, as I seldom have the opportunity to fly off grass. The nearest you can get is what you see in the pictures, with small bushes around the flying field. They are quite handy, though. They have softened a lot of landings from many aeromodellers, including my Can-Doo and Cartoon Cutlass

Regards,

Paulo

It'd be nice to see your model, Colisace. I also thought about installing an undercarriage, as I seldom have the opportunity to fly off grass. The nearest you can get is what you see in the pictures, with small bushes around the flying field. They are quite handy, though. They have softened a lot of landings from many aeromodellers, including my Can-Doo and Cartoon Cutlass

Regards,

Paulo

Colisace,

I've seen the pics now. I forgot I could do it by clicking on your username.

Looks good and certainly facilitates launching and recovering the model.

After the next flight I'll check if performance with the recommended setup is fine for mild aerobatics or if I really need to upgrade the motor. I'll keep this space posted too.

PP

• 1 month later...