Do you have a multi-rotor?

Advert

I have just built a 450 size quad like the ones featured by Andrew Russell above and must agree that they are great fun on a budget. I sourced parts from a few places and it cost £130.00 to get in the air. I would recommend the Kk2 board from Hobbyking. Easy to programme and very satisfying when it comes together.

I think everyone should give it a try !!!!

• 1 month later...

Same as above I got a quad in the air using a KK2 flight control board.

Plus now I got myself a 550 HEX copter using a APM Flight control board.

This thing is on rails.

It has GPS waypoint control and return to home at the flip of a switch & on fail-safe.

FPV is getting put on later on.

Fun fun fun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For me this is just dumbed down modelling. Everything in life that is really worth doing takes time. The harder it is to master a skill the greater the return in doing so. I fly helicopters because it is hard to do (well). I build models because something of me goes into the process - the model is unique. If these devices are attracting a different kind of customer then I think we should understand the difference because the people who want to fly these things do not know what they are missing and that means WE are not getting the real modelling message across.

My 2c

Harry Wilson

Well model flying always gave me things to learn, first balsa bashing & homebrew RC gear as a teenager, electric flight 10 years ago and now setting up quadcopters 50 years later!

I notice that the train modellers are getting on with learning how to make nice scale parts with 3D printing.

So how about some 3D printed motor mounts for a RCM&E quadcopter on a simple plywood frame?

Well said. I take the point. If there is something interesting to learn then why not and I guess each to his own. The other point of course is maybe the trade need this? I am concerned however about the general trend towards "ready to fly out of the box" models and what this means for safety and the reputation of flyers generally; another subject of course.

Harry