Can Doo it

Stephen Jones

Nice to hear Bill ,

Can you give us any more info please , to help others that may wish to build this one , ie ;-

Auw =

Battery , Motor , CoG , control setup , the more info you can give the more it will help others decide how to set theirs up ,Cheers ,

I take it that yours is a low power set up ?

I hope to take mine right through the power band set up , from low power to high power , also to see if i can over come any ballooning problems that usually occurs with Canard designs .

Cheers Steve ,

P.S. i have not touched mine due to being busy on other things .

Advert

ok here goes.....

a.u.w.= 750g or about 1lb 10oz

battery= turnigy 3s 2200mah 45-90c

motor= 4 max power setup complete with prop

cog = as drawing with battery butted upto elevator servo note.turnigy and gens ace are 30g heavier than overlander which is why I used the aforementioned

controls= separate newpower 6g digital servo,s on each surface

I,ve not done any full power metering as yet but intend to as it is not underpowered but not as quick as it looks so would be interested to hear of any improvement on power (x2 would be nice) one other thing the elevator is very responsive even on recommended settings.. anyway I have a bass line and will fly it for a bit before I modify

yes steve it was happy but I wasn't it is to be honest gutless it wont pull away on launch at half power needs full power so don't get too excited there is not a lot of difference in speed between half and full. but I knew what I was doing when I bought the power setup so cant complain (deja'vu)

Can Doo

Test flew my Can Doo last weekend, really impressed with how it flies so far! It doesn't seem to have any nasty habits. 4-Max power set up gave enough power for decent verticals, although the motor came apart on its second flight and damaged the windings so not had much time to really get to grips with it.

A quick email to 4-max later and I was told that this was my fault and was the result of poor pre flight checks (which I know were carried out correctly) so currently looking elsewhere for a new motor before I can continue flying it.

Thumbs up to Nigel and RCM&E for a great design,

Adam

I only got a copy of the plan last weekend , and with this awful weather I decided to build a Can Doo out of depron .

shame you may say , but its a pretty easy plan for flat bits of foam and only takes a couple of days .

So just finished it off , its a bit basic !! but it has come out at 450 gms complete with a 2200 lipo

I have an Axi 2212 at the back , , delta config with elevator mix flaps on the foreplane .

could be interesting !

cheers

OK a few photos .

still got square edges , will have untill flight proven , glued with Gorrila Glue , not yet cleaned off , again after flight proven ,

My standard ally double glazing bar used for spars and longerons .

Not as pretty as the "Real Thing "

but a good test bed

I hope

cheers

Come to attach the photos ??????? there does not appear an easy way ?? wheres the brouse button ??

how do you do it ???

need help please !

The photos lie Stephen . There is 6mm positive along the chord of the foreplane .

in the article in the mag all the flying photos show the "elevator" on the foreplane a bit down , so I added a "tad " more that the 2degs ( 3 actually )! But with elevons as well I should be able to trim it out !

I have had experience of a foreplane elevator on my SU47 , which is still about after 5 years !!

this one will not last that long ! so my son says !

but the weather is not looking good for a while yet , so I will have to paint it !!

cheers

Pete

about 47 years of being a selfish sod !

not really , my planes all live in the attic , and WIP is performed in the spare room , So the IC ones are not yet oilly and the leccy ones are no problem or smell.

As soon as the Pat French Cap flies , it will get banished , to the garage if I like it or the attic if I dont !

I have a really patient, understanding , long suffering wife

no secret .

pete.

I mentioned that I had built Canards before , so here is one "I made earlier " my SU47 .

I flew it at an electric fly in , where it received not one single comment , !! except one guy stopped me afterwards and asked me how I made it fly backwards !! The real problem was the guy was for real !! scary

cheers su47 (small).jpg

Great weather , visibility wise , highish winds rolling off the woods giving some interesting turbulence, but just had to give the depron Can Doo an airing . Being so light I put a 1300 Lipo up front which gave plenty of time to play about .

Needed a bit of down trim to begin with but when I switched in the canard it flew very much more nicely with no vices , although to be said the wind was far too strong to make a proper assessment .

I will down load some flying photos when my mate , Ralph, disgorges them hopefully later tonight

cheers