Can Doo it

Stephen Jones

Advert

Hi all, Steven (1), re your comment about the wing section, there's a possibility that with small/ medium sized models using thin flat plate wings, the profile that the wing is sanded to doesn't make much difference at all. They seem to work very well regardless. There's been a (heated)! discussion on this in the Pushy Cat thread (you've seen it)? and Bob Cotsford summed it up really well.

I take on board your thoughts on the fins and hatch flexing and will alter mine to suit, as you have done. I also note Stephen (2)'s sensible modifications. I will make a few amendments to my plan before I start on this one. I've decided to have a go at the all moving foreplane, not for any good reason except that I've never done it before.

Hi Colin ,

Further thoughts on the all moving foreplane .

This could be added into a high and low speed setting , so that one could use a preprogrammed switch on the transmitter for high and low speed operation .

Alternatively the foreplane could be hinged at the front so a separate servo could alter the angle of attack while a servo mounted on the foreplane it`s self , could control up and down independently .

Hi Stephen, now there's some ideas to think about. They're clearly along the lines that Nigel had in his head when he suggested the idea of an all-moving surface. I need to do some doodling.

Cymaz, funny you should mention Thunderbirds. We've got a papier-mâché Tracey Island in the loft. I reckon you're thinking of Thunderbird One, that was green.

that's what I was thinking Cymaz,,, am thinking seriously about ordering another power set for the front even though its not been flown yet and I have no experience of it yet but Stephens does look right with power up front and this may make it near ballistic (for a few minutes) its a shame that's she,s all finished because I would be looking into an all moving foreplane,but at the moment I am looking at speed settings preprogrammed as Stephen also suggests as I am not yet convinced its going to be an all round well behaved little aircraft.... one last question at the moment as I am still quite new to all this am I right in assumeing the elevators are reversed or am I loosing the plot in my workshop quietly muttering to myself and dribbling onto the bench??

yeah i went for four servo,s straight off so once as i say i get a feel for her i will begin the head scratching beeping mind drain of mixing this weather is really rather unhelpful but i intend starting a midget mustang tomorrow which should take a while (keep me quiet)

My Hatch ,

I wanted to add support to the fuzz sides but did not want to restrict the width so i can put some thing else in there so .

hatch1.jpg

I used a brass tube to make a hole that does not go all the way through the side .

hatch2.jpg

Into that hole i added a magnet so it is flush with the sides .

hatch3.jpg

The hatch cover has the magnets and side support added .

hatch4.jpg

So when the hatch is fitted all is secure .

Hope you like .

• 2 weeks later...

she flies!!! am happy to announce no vices on first flight...if I have one complaint it would be the power setup, as recommended it does stooge about quite happily on half throttle but on full throttle not much more oomph.. so that may be looked into (could have been ambient air temperature) but after a safe 4min. flight I had 60% remaining battery life so its looking good for mixing experimentation when it warms up a bit. oh and it does glide really nicely. so this is my first all balsa build which flew am a little happy about that especially as it is still in one piece