Left or Right Hand

Dai Fledermaus

Advert

Left handed for writing and anything that requires accuracy, but can mix and match as the the situation dictates.I,m in agreement with Martin on this in regard to nurture. in regard to the brain organisation I can display traits from both sides.My daughter is primarily a lefty but is extremely adaptable. Could it be that lefties have to adapt to what I see as primarily a right hand world.Look at the position of the card reader in the supermarket as an example

Dave

Edited By sticky fingers on 11/12/2013 10:38:48

There's a bit of research someone has done on lefthandedness. Apparently it occurs in about 7% of the population but if you look at the high-achievers (notably surgeons) lefties account for 50%. So you're in good company Colin.

As for ambidextrous - Derek Underwood (retired England cricketer, bowled left batted right), Rafael Nadal (right handed but plays tennis as a leftie). And of course SWMBO. How could I miss her out! sarcastic

Ian

I started school at just 4yo in the early fifties. During the first handwriting class I was chastised for using my left hand. I was forced to use my right hand from there on and I did find it difficult.

Nowadays I can write simultaneously with either hand but there is no style with either. I can also use tools and saw in either hand. I've never since been good at catching balls etc as I think the brain isn't sure which hand is the master. I can only use a mouse left handed which includes the work I do using TurboCad. I can only use chopsticks left handed too and you should see the creative designs that produces on my T shirt!

My friends say that anything mechanical, electronic, DIY or carpentry is hopelessly over engineered and complicated. This may be a sign of creativity or belt and braces.

I reckon the usless teachers scrambled my brain - the rotters. face 15

Dane, I too started infants school in the early fifties at 4 not quite 5. I didnt have any probs as far as being messy and I wasn't forced t o use my right hand, my teachers must have been progressive for the times, the greatest gift bestowed on me was being taught to read and understand, and to be encouraged to persevere in more difficult books with lots of hard words,and not to be frightened to question things. I was humiliated in my second year of junior school for messy writing with ink and eventually was allowed to use a biro but i was best at reading and sums, writing is still not my forte even now but who cares I,m retired now

Yup, similar to you Sticky, I was understanding and reading technical manuals - mainly vehicles and aircraft. At seven I was replicating (and in my mindand improving) the concepts initially with a huge meccano set and later with balsa and tissue plus offerings from Davies-Charlton - I still have the finger scars from these little diesels. My writing is still messy and we were ordered to use ink wells and dip pens for about 4 years! I reckon that the school was taking a leaf out of a Charles Dickens story. I persevered - mainly learning stuff on my own despite the teachers and had a great job until retirement so not too much harm done!

Isn't that more about her being female, BEB? I'm right handed but left eye dominant and (I believe) reasonably co-ordinated and spatially aware. Or perhaps she's really right handed but hasn't realised - my left handed throwing accuracy is fairly pathetic...

I don't have any trouble reading and writing upside down or backwards - to the extent that I sometimes confuse myself by reading something intended to apply to being looked at the other way without realising it's inverted - look left signs for pedestrians going the other way for example, so as pointed out above, that ability is not confined to lefties.

I've just had a thought from some of the posts/posters on this thread - is there any relationship between oily hands tending towards the right and those strongly attracted to electric flight being left handed?

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/12/2013 00:50:04

Posted by Dane Crosby on 11/12/2013 20:42:14:

I started school at just 4yo in the early fifties. During the first handwriting class I was chastised for using my left hand. I was forced to use my right hand from there on and I did find it difficult.

I started school in 1960, a handful of years earlier I would have been forced to write with my right hand, as it was I was allowed to use my left hand (with poor results). When it came time to learn 'real writing', as it was called at the time, there were two of us lefties in the class we were put to the back of the classroom, given blank paper and crayons and told to try and do what the rest of the class was doing but if would couldn't we could just draw pictures.

As a result my writing was dreadful, I look back at school books from grammar school days and it is so embarrassing, all I can say these days is thank goodness for keyboards!!

Badly formed writing is often supposed to be a sign of intelligence. Rather than sticking rigidly to the forms taught, the more intelligent tend to create short cuts in order to write with less effort - apparently this explains why doctor's often have appalling handwriting!

And why I refuse to try to write neatly!

Posted by Martin Harris on 12/12/2013 00:57:29:

Badly formed writing is often supposed to be a sign of intelligence. Rather than sticking rigidly to the forms taught, the more intelligent tend to create short cuts in order to write with less effort - apparently this explains why doctor's often have appalling handwriting!

And why I refuse to try to write neatly!

I wish I'd known that 45 years ago when at school cheeky