Flair Fokker DVII

G'day all....at last the weather is warming up here down under as spring takes effect. We're hoping our lockdown will ease in two weeks, but meanwhile there's plenty of time to build. Fuselage is basically done but awaiting manufacture of the new firewall for the electric motor ...after measurement etc....

Bottom wing also nearing completion....enjoyed building it. Thanks to the excellent build photos and advice from members here, I've managed not to badly cock anything up (however I did cut of one of the leading edges flush with the outer wing rib before realising it needed to extend about 15mm to cover the front of the wingtip...but an easy fix)

One of the forum members here ( from Spain) has generously offered to send me the missing plastic cowls and side cheeks which is just amazing... and most appreciated....)

Finally, it's almost impossible to get the wheels, pilot and spandau guns here in Australia (or at a reasonable cost) due to the Covid lockdown affecting postage and supply, so I'm thinking of trying to get them 3d printed maybe...

I'll add a couple of photos....so until next post..stay safe everyone...

Chris

Posted by Harrier Mate on 01/12/2015 21:41:39:

Then made 2 left hand sides by epoxying one of the attachments wrong way round having soldered nut in place... Dohhhhh! Managed to unsolder and re-do on correct side without destroying epoxy bond.... As below.

Ok I'm up to this step and I'm confused...firstly I need to make the metal connectors from the supplied strips of steel..ok...but I'm assuming you didn't use the supplied ply bits but have made thicker ones?....it sort of appears on the plan that you make a "pocket" for the connectors, which could then be installed AFTER covering ????

Can someone explain exactly how this all works please?

Cheers

Hi Chris. Sorry I missed a few posts... very busy at work. The trailing edge pieces are actually triangular stock... that coincidentally are exactly the right size, from local model shop... think they might be used as gutters for wooden dolls houses.

The metal wing strut joiners are made exactly as you described... I made a pocket between a sandwich of thin ply plates for them to slide into after covering... will send couple of photos.

nige

Chris,

Hope they make sense. I realise looking back that I originally planned on sliding the metal tabs into the sandwich after covering... but then realised that I couldn't guarantee the strength of the epoxy joint if i couldn't see it beneath the covering. So I chose to epoxy the metal tabs in as I built the sandwich. Would have been even better had I thought about it before gluing the ribs in because than I could have also drilled holes through the entire sandwich on the bench and reinforced with cocktail stick dowels.... but I doubt they will pull out!!

Hi Chris, if you have not yet soldered the nuts to the strips, consider changing the screws and nuts to more a usual sizes, e.g. to metric 3mm. My 2 kits had 6BA, or similar named, not easy to find replacement, and you know how easy they are lost at the field when rigging the plane. Read some where that they were some kind of special clock makers product.