Flair Fokker DVII

A bit more done over the weekend. Bottom wing almost completed. Like Nigel I'm certain I was over-thinking the interplane strut connectors so I've done the same as recommended by him and created 'pocket' bracing slots and will glue in the metal strips after covering is completed.

Plane is coming along nicely...it's a big boxy model isn't it! I won't have any problem finding room for a 6s battery!

One thing I did notice is that there seems to be a huge amount of down thrust built into the ic motor bearers (that I dry fitted just to see the thrust lines and position for my electric installation at a later date...) I'll build the correct thrust into the new forward firewall at some later stage.

Top wing next...I'll build the "separate ailerons " system as outlined by others here....

Oh by the way, I read on another forum that a builder referred to a construction "book" for the D7...I only have plans...which are great...was/is there a separate booklet too?

Cheers ChrisMock up

Agreed Nigel....it was obviously a reference to the very comprehensive plans...but worth checking.

I'm starting to think about covering material....there's one last supply of solartex in a hobby shop in Perth, so I might grab it asap...I can only get solid colours so I'll have to look at, say, the red and white or all black version. There's also ultracote and similar...so will investigate.

Meanwhile..Spring has sprung here in Australia...and lockdown lifting for those outside Melbourne soon, so an outback (Victoria only) camping trip will be on the cards for month or so...hmmm...better get some more done this week...

Cheers

Chris 

Edited By Christopher Eeles on 13/09/2020 22:14:36

Posted by Daniel Meurer on 10/09/2020 15:21:40:

Hi Chris, if you have not yet soldered the nuts to the strips, consider changing the screws and nuts to more a usual sizes, e.g. to metric 3mm. My 2 kits had 6BA, or similar named, not easy to find replacement, and you know how easy they are lost at the field when rigging the plane. Read some where that they were some kind of special clock makers product.

BA (British Association) screws were widely used in electrical products in my youth (ie 50s/60s) particularly 4 and 6 BA which roughly equate to 3 and 4 mm (the higher the BA number the smaller the diameter). They are, I believe, based on metric units and were certainly used in clocks and watches. My grandfather's watch repair bench had containers with sizes as samll as 20+ BA - ie really, really small.

One of the biggest pains in the Flair Scout biplanes is the attachment of the interplane struts. There 8x3mm nuts and bolts needed to be fitted at the field which is both tedious and time consuming. I've built an SE5a and I have a Puppeteer. They aren't really structural (I think the model would fly as well without them fitted) but the aircraft would look odd without them. I've built a few DB bipes and their method using split cotter eyes held in place with length of 2mm rod and a simple elastic band is very quick and works perfectly. Whilst you have access, it's worth looking on DB's web site for description of the method.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

Yes I'll be using metric even though I do have an excellent supply of BA bolts and nuts courtesy of a neighbour who was a German engineer and collected and labelled all sorts of bolts etc...I'll post a photo later of his amazing rolling storage units that I obtained after he passed away....bloody fantastic unit and I use it every time I'm in the workshop.

I'm also planning not to take the wings off very often as it will fit into my Landcruiser easily....though it might restrict how many other models I can take to the field !

Thanks for the info...I'm enjoying every bit of this forum and the build...

Cheers

Chris

Ok this is my wonderful fittings stand. I'm posting this because it's a terrific idea for those with limited space or those who want to move things around easily in their workshops. The photos are sideways sorry...couldn't get them to rotate, but you can see it's a triangular stand on factors. I'd never seen one before and I'm amazed how well it works... I'll post another photo showing how he labelled everything....a.so you can see original old Repco tins that have circlips, rollpins, etc etc...happy days!

Hi Ted...I wish I could claim all the glory, but the stand with most of the bolts etc all came to me like that, including the German language for the labels. My late neighbour, Ernst, built and filled the stand, I've just added some of my own things. In his life, Ernst was a hoarder of GOOD things...his daughter told me they would spend their weekends going to clearing sales and sorting endless containers of bolts and screws. Shockingly, after his death, his family filled a huge dump bin with hundreds of Sheffield drill bits, taps, dies, tools etc...I managed to dumpster dive and rescue some, thank God, then spoke to them about a clearing sale where they made good money...they had no idea of the value!

Cheers

Edited By Christopher Eeles on 15/09/2020 11:28:04

Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 22/08/2020 14:34:14:

c11013ca-fe1a-4bd9-beff-54e98c39ec7b.jpegHello good to see a fellow colonial

i built one a couple of years back. The covers supplied with the kit are very flimsy and I think would be a simple matter to make from ply and add vents from styrene or litho (aluminium cans are useful). I’d be happy to take measurements of mine if you wish. The photo is mine before I crashed and had to rebuild the front end requiring reshaping the lower part of the nose

Ted

Hi Ted,

Can you tell me about the finishing of your model please? Is it an antique solartex colour and/or painted fuselage etc...thinking of also goimg that colour scheme...

Cheers

Chris

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 22/08/2020 14:38:14

Posted by jeff2wings on 04/02/2016 21:55:50:

A bit like this then

imga0760.jpg

imga0015.jpg

Jeff or Nigel...I'm assuming when building the aileron as a separate unit and using the method above you used a thicker or laminated leading edge piece so you could make the half round shape? I'm also assuming that the aileron ribs front faces are then cut square (perpendicular) as there's no need to tapes them like the original plan?

Top wingA wet and windy day here today, typical spring weather in Southern Australia. No chance to go flying so a productive day in the workshop. Top wing basically complete apart from servo covers and sanding. I've used LOTS of tips from members here which has helped a great deal to improve the build and avoid stuff ups etc. I also tackled the interplane struts which were actually pretty easy. Still need final sanding and shaping.

Next are the ailerons...building them like Jeff and Nigel with rounded leading edge, robart hinges etc.

I have to scratch-₩build the undercarriage "wing" because the ribs were missing from the kit but I have the templates on the main rib sheets and I can use the waste ply from the same sheets to make new ribs. Easy job...fortunately all the hardware for the undercarriage is still there. (I know the original kit owner started on the build but stopped almost straight away so I think that's where the undercart ribs ended up..in his shed somewhere lol)

I found, like Nigel, that the strut mounting system in the wings was actually pretty straight forward once I stopped stressing about it lol.

Cheers Chris

Interplane struts

Edited By Christopher Eeles on 21/09/2020 10:58:19

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris sorry for the late reply. The fuselage is covered in sig koverall wings solartex with light spray of white enamel to lighten an give it an uneven finish. Decals inkjet printed testors waterslide. Matt water based “urethane” over the top.

ted

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 10/10/2020 15:09:59

Pics of my servo installation as I wanted to use cables rather than pushrods for the tail. I also used SBUS for the aileron servos using the struts as connections to the wing. You can see one connection point soldered to a nut on the side of the fuseimg_2314.jpgimg_2313.jpg

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 10/10/2020 15:43:37

Hi All...Ted....great photos and info. I’m currently away camping for a month so no modelling unfortunately but I did get most of the main construction completed before we left last week so all awaits when we get back!

I’ve managed to acquire some wheels and a mate 3D printed the guns and pilot for me so happy days.

I’ve sorted in my mind how to do the electric conversion so like Jeff I need to ensure the correct thrust lines for the new firewall !

cheers all

Chris

That's a beautiful installation. I also like the tapered 'V' slots for the wing dowels - I might crib that idea!

I'm guessing your practice of wrapping the receiver in foam comes from flying with crystal-controlled receivers. Modern 2.4GHz receivers don't have these fragile crystals but do have microprocessors churning away which can generate rather more heat than the old FM sets. It's unlikely to be a significant issue in practice, but you might like to think about incorporating a bit of ventilation into the receiver wrapping.

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all....just returned from a month away camping in outback Victoria...so no building updates however a mate of mine 3d printed the "Red Baron" style pilot and the machine guns which was a great help and a welcome gesture.

He also tried to 3d print wheels but they turned out too heavy...and although not to scale, I've obtained some wire wheels and will add my own covers.

Need to order some robart hinges before too long....

Next job is the new firewall for the electric motor, and removable top deck for battery access...plus SANDING and shaping everything...

Summer is here so lots of flying and not as much on the build front but I'm enjoying the process...

Cheers

Chris in Oz.

img_3793.jpg

Thanks for the posive comments.

Trevor you're right wrapping the Rx is a hangover from the old days. I now dont wrap the Rx and will change this when I next dismantle the model. It stays assembled 99% of the time as it fts in the car fully rigged.

Chris, your mate has done a great job. Scale models look so much better with a pilot.

Look forward to more progress

Ted

Thanks Ted, my mate Joe also made the guns (as photo) but had to use a filament printer rather than the liquid printer of the pilot. Unfortunately this left tiny plastic fibers in the cooling casing holes which I couldn't remove easily but won't be too noticeable esp since my model will be "stand way off" scale lol...

Used a razor plane for the first time in over 30 years to begin shaping the leading edges and especially the ailerons. Worked a treat...forgot how satisfying it is to peel off curls of balsa!

Gorgeous hot weather here in Australia so off flying each day this week...

Cheers

Chris