Flair Fokker DVII

Ernie ,have you ever had dealings with Arizona Modelaircrafters ??? not only expensive but some what unreliable , it may take more effort to paint it one's self but you will most likely finish the plane long before you get any thing from AM !

I think I may take the easy option with Herman the German's all white plane or this all black one

lg-134174.jpg

Yes Jeff2wings, I have, and I certainly agree with you. Nevertheless, their website is well worth a look. For example, I found a fantastic big drawing of a Spandau machine gun.

They built the planes for Flyboys

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 07/02/2016 08:52:24

Thanks guys. I did look ages ago at Arizona Models and agree that it is very expensive. I also understand the someone from another thread was not impressed with the standard of printing. Possibly a 'one off ' problem which I'm sure they sorted out but I would prefer not to have the hassle. If there's no UK distributor of the stuff, I guess its the old fashioned painting way.... which others have made such a great job of.

Managed to get some 0.8mm (1/32) ply sheet from local model shop. Hadn't realised just how expensive the thin stuff is!!! Best I don't make a hash of doing the upper decking on the forward fuselage!!! I managed to build an entire new rear fuselage for the price of the 0.8 ply!! Still its very clever that modern technology can produce ply down to 1/64" thickness. Will allow me to attach the mainplane trailing edge/aileron leading edge this evening.

Note to self: Must stop visiting model shops because I always want to leave with more than I went in for!!! Very tempted to build a scale vintage glider as next project..... only because Gliders Distribution have 1/4 scale Bergfalke in store. 3.5m wingspan. All ply and balsa construction. Self centring jig construction...... Stop it. You have a Fokker to finish...and fly!!! Aaaargh. It was gorgeous though.

Thanks Ernie for the response about Arizona web site.... Great detail on the machine guns as you say. Helped me sort a couple of questions regarding construction of the Williams Bros plastic ones. Built one. One to do. Very fiddly but looks good when finished. Will attempt to paint and weather mine in the way in which others have achieved on the various Fokker blogs... Not sure I can achieve their standard but will practise first.

Ernie , the web site does look good ,but I think that's more down to the skill of the builders that have used their product ,rather than the product itself frown

HM , those where the original ailerons that I modified but then scraped and made new ones , and I used ply shrouds top&underside .You may like to take a look at my albums for more pics of the D7

100_1936.jpg

Edited By jeff2wings on 07/02/2016 21:41:25

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello HM . I bought a Flair DV11 some 15/20 years ago. I also bought the optional Flair Lozenges kit for the DV11, this comprised of a pattern, some covering and possibly a colour chart. I'm on my travels at the moment , however I'll be back home in about 10/14 days time and happy to take a copy of the pattern to send to you. (Please PM me with your contact details) .

I have used coverings from Arizona Models and Glenn Torrance models , both have their pros and cons . These were on larger 1/4 and 1/3 scale models. I'm not sure if they do one in a smaller scale ie to fit the Flair DV11. 

A club member managed to get a local T Shirt printing company to print on oratex some years ago. Regretfully the business is no more. The quality of the print was ok with some distortion , however it might be possible with more modern print equipment to replicate a better pattern. Question of cost!

Edited By Tomtom39 on 02/12/2019 10:12:00