E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Hi Ton, I am really enjoying this thread. I am going to definitely make this my next project (after I finish the sleeker) and so is a friend of mine.

A couple of questions;

A) what propeller did you settle on?

The plan says 10 x 6 folding prop but last mention in this thread by you was a 9.5 x 5

B) The motor you mention (D2830 - 11) appears to be 3.17mm shaft size but your spinner is 3mm shaft size. How did you get them to fit?

C) What size battery pack are you using?

D) If I build a second wing set with ailerons, I believe it is accepted practice to reduce the dihedral at the centre wing section. Is this good practice and if so by how much?

E) Given the additional weight from the servos etc for the ailerons, and a possible payload of a camera and/or telemetry gear (plus my undoubted heavy handed amateur building), do you think a slightly more powerful motor would be acceptable like the aerodrive sk3 2836 - 1040kv? I don't want to drive the skin off it but I do want to get some good height with the additional weight. I can after all just take the pedal off the metal so to speak.

F) How can I get a copy of the plan?

Thanks again for a great looking glider. It has certainly got people interested.

TP

Hi TP, Great that you like the RedEagle you won't regret building and flying this model.

A) The first 10x6 was a very poor prop from HK the 9.5x5 was much better in quality and pitch, so that was way better, I did find a new Gemfan 10x6 via Banggood and that works very nice. But to be honest both work just fine. But don't expect vertical performance.

B) Yes the D2830 is 3.17mm but keep in mind you need to chance the shaft and rotate it 180 degrees and that's not an easy job. The spinner I use is this one **LINK** as you an see there is a 3 and 3,2mm version. You can also select you own 2830 or even 2836 motor because every 1000KV will work just fine. Think this motor will also be fine **LINK** and that's with a 3mm shaft.

C) The size is a Lipo 3S 2200ma and a 20C will be more than fine, iam using my old pack because it climes more than enough for me and will gives me flights of minimal 30 min.

D) There are two samples of aileron wings in this thread and it seems like they work fine, so why not copy those.

E) Yes for that a 2836 will work just fine you can even go for a hotter version let say 1200-1400KV or a bigger prop on the 1000KV.

F) For the plan **LINK** or go to RBCkits for a complete kit.

Hope this answers you questions and don't forget to post pics when you start the build.

Ton

You're an absolute gentleman Ton, thank you very much. That has answered my questions perfectly. I'm really looking forward to the build and will post pics and text as I go.

Thank you again and I love you're builds. One day maybe a Corby Starlet seeing as I'm an Aussie and the starlet is an Aussie original. 😄

TP

Thank you TP iam doing me best as much I can, and look forward seeing you build pics.

Great that you like my builds and specially the Corby. Yes it will make a great model for the Aussie model airfield because on big airfields, I think there must be one on every location. Which is very nice for us modellers because there are so many and so many colours schemes to choose from.

Ton

• 5 months later...

Hi Ton I really love the look of this design. I love flying egliders and my 14 yo son who recently started to fly likes flying my Simprop Excel. He has been wanting me to help him build a glider so I hope this turns into an RCM&E plan and possibly kit of parts soon.

Really enjoy the build pics will look forward to the flight ones.

Finally flew mine today after 4 years and flew beautifully - twenty minute flight but got caught out on landing as it wouldn't come back to earth...lol - finally touched down and slid so far collided with wire fence and dislodged motor mount - in repairs and wood very thin here so not surprising so in with the epoxy - can't wait to try again.

Thanks for the plane and kit sir!

• 2 weeks later...

I built a little vent and air scoop under the nose at initial build stage just to be on the safe side, mine is always cool when I land. It's a great plane, mine has over 20 hours of flying time to it's name so far including 2 absolutely glorious long and relaxed flights off the slope this week.

• 2 months later...

Jason, hi and welcome to the forum. The Red Eagle as you probably know was a free plan July 2014 RCM&E. The back numbers were available from My Hobby Store but that seems to have gone when the back catalog went to Traplet. There has been an announcement that Sarik Hobbys are taking over the Traplet plans/CNC kits and are in the process of building a new website. So your options are 1) buy from RBC Kits. 2) Wait for the plan to be available from Sarik (if it is available) 3) contact the RCM&E publisher, My Time Media Ltd in Edenbridge here and say that you want to buy the Jul 2014 RCM&E back number which will contain the Red Eagle plan (and article). Good luck.

Thanks guys. I don't want to buy the kit, just the plan. I will try contacting My time media for a back issue as you suggest (I have already read the build article via my digital subscription, but I only have magazine hardcopies dating back to 2015). Failing that lets hope Sarik hobbys release the plans for sale!

Cheers

Posted by Andy G. on 13/08/2017 08:24:32:

Jason, I still have the copy that I built mine from somewhere, if I can find it you are welcome to it.

Hi Andy,

That's really generous of you. If you can find it, that would be fantastic. I'll happily pay postage of course, and could also make a copy and send your original back to you (in case you ever want to make another).

Many thanks

Jason

Hi, I have just heard that the Traplet shop is closed as it is a bit of a scam, they have gone into liquidation and are starting up again under a new name, Sarick hobbys. How true this is I do not know but we will soon find out if the truth comes out. If this is true then I hope you can get what you want, also how long does it take to set up a new system, we will have to wait and see. good luck and if your Red Eagle flies as well as mine you have a great model to be pleased with. Mine flies in 0 to 15 mph winds with no problems.

Mike.

Posted by Andy G. on 13/08/2017 08:24:32:

Jason, I still have the copy that I built mine from somewhere, if I can find it you are welcome to it.

Big thanks to Andy who very kindly posted me his copy of the RedEagle plan. I can now start gathering materials together ready for my first build in 20 years (since getting married / having kids / mortgage etc. etc.)

Really looking forward to it!

smiley