New to helis

Alvin Espley

Hi, i have flown fixed wing for a few years now but i am thinking of making the jump to helis, iv looked at a few models now and the one i really like the look of is the mini pred by century. Would this be a sensible choice for a beginner? also i only want to fly electric, any help would be great. thanks ..

Alvin ....telford

Advert

thanks for the info guys, i have flown a contra rota model very briefly and found it very good and not that hard to get BASIC control of it, but i think i would still rather a cp model for that extra challenge, also i could progress with the model rather than upgrading when i feel that i reach the limit of the contra type can do ,providing it lasted long enough,

Thanks Mark ...just had a look at one on the modelmaniacs web site , that looks more like what i had in mind ,also the spares are cheap as well, I have a hitec optic 6 tx that i use for my fixed wing aircraft would this be ok for helis , it has got a heli setting on the menu but dont really no much about the setting up for a heli, I no the solaris comes with the tx much like the mini pred but it would be nice to use a radio that i am used to......

Alvin, at the moment finding my way in this world of model flying and have bought everything rtf so far, just to keep costs down, and because I know nothing yet  about tx etc, but learning all the time.

Not sure about your tx but with the cost of the 3D and everything in you wont go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alvin.

I think you are on the right track as esky are good value for money and the spares are so easy to get on the net I have tryed esky and walkera and esky comes out on top for flying well and if you shop on the net in the H K shops you will be amazed at the level of servic you will get and how cheaply you can fly.

have fun Owen.

Hi Owen.....

in the end i have opted for the mini pred by century, i did come really close to buying the belt cp but got put off a bit by a review i read in one of the heli mags,the main problem it seems is the gyro wich didnt have  heading hold, i know i could have just upgraded the gyro but i really want an  all in package that i dont have to mess with to much while i am still learning, so i have brought the mini pred SE with the metal rotor head and tail plus the carbon blades and of coarse the traning gear,should have it in the next day or so , hope iv made the right choise, A friend if mine has one and learned to hover prettywell after a few hours  so it should be ok , also parts are dirt cheap ....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all , well i have got my 1st heli at last its a mini pred but i opted for the se version with the metal head and tail also carbon blades,tho a may well change to the cheap old wood ones as carbon blades for training may get a bit costly, any way took it out today for the first flight  WOW! what a rush i dont think i blinked or breathed for the whole flight , well i say flight it was more hoping than flying but i did manage to hold it for a few seconds at times so im well chuffed, also no damage either, i am totaly hooked this has got to be one of the best hobbies .......

thanks to all for your help and advice, Alv...............

Hi Alvin.

I am pleased to here that you have got a good heli as it is very hard to no which one is going to be right for you letts face we all have the odd smak up so keep on progresing slow but shaw and you will keep the repairs to a minimum and the pleasure to maximum thats the way to do it.

happy flying Owen. 

Thanks owen

am well pleased with the mini pred se , it did take a little while to set it up regards radio set up an pitch angle but it flies really well.

I spent almost the entire day today hovering around  and can now hold her pretty well still in the air, so i think for a beginners model it is exellent, I got this one from abc modelsport it cost £225 all in, or you can get the standard one for about £145 ,but they both come with a pretty good radio ,brushless motor, 1300mah lipo and ballance charger plus you get the training gear and a free flight sim in with the deal.

Also the parts really are very cheap,

cant wait till tomorrow, ENJOY THE WEATHER WHILE ITS HERE......

Hi Alvin.

I think you sound that you are going about it the right way all heli's need to be set to our own prefrence so the time taken to set them up to hover nice and level is time well spent as it gives the nerves time to run in and gives our heads time to catch up with the speed of the trany and by the end of 2 or 3 hours flying we can look back and wonder what the fuss was all about.

happy flying Owen. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Glynn.

This sounds quite normal in the early stages so the thing to look at is the swash plate, and set the Helli on a level surface at eye level, with the Rx and TX on and all sticks at neutral and no throttle, make sure that the swash plate is square with the main shaft, if not adjust the linkage to make it level this is a good starting point and now you can start to try to get it to hover try to do this on a level smooth surface no grass as if it goes side ways it will tend to tip over so try it in small hops up and down and slow is a good way to start.

happy hovering Owen.