Removing a gummed up piston ring,

weasel

Hello what is the best way to remove a very bad gummed up piston ring ?
I have a Supertigre G20/23 that I bought second hand & would not run properly due to little or no compression.

So my job today was to remove the piston & liner these came out with quite a bit of oven heat, on inspection the piston ring is well stuck with what looks like castor oil. would more heat help remove it ? I/E the hot flame...

I have just ordered a reproduction one from evil bay so will give it a try if any good....
Regards Weasel..wink 2.....

Advert

Two methods spring to mind:-

Heat some light oil to a high temperature and plunge the piston in it. All the usual safety warnings apply !

Buy a can of automotive carburettor cleaner, spray some into a small jar and soak the piston in it. It evaporates quickly so the jar will need to be capped.

Shaunie.

If you have an ultra sonic cleaner fill it wit fuel or better yet methyl hydrate and give it a good go with that, another solution is to warm some anti freeze in an old saucepan and let it simmer in that for a while (preferably outdoors or in the shed/garage however you do it take your time and just keep working at it with a stiff brush periodically do not force it on pain of breaking it 9ask me how I know thatblush )

Good luck.

+1 for Fairy Power Spray......give a good soaking, leave for a while & then a good scrub with a toothbrush (use your wifes but remember to put it back as soon as you've finished using it so she doesn't suspect anything). Rinse & things should be much better. Too much heat will simply bake the castor oil into place making things much harder.

The ring should be freeer & much easier to remove.

Clean out the ring groove thourougly too.....toothbrushes, wooden scrapers.....whatever it takes but take care not to damage the piston......a good polish of the piston outer surfaces with wadding polish is well worth it too....gets rid of the castor gum.

When reassembling its probably a good idea to "deglaze" the liner.....either gently polish with some Autosol or similar metal polish or use some 1000-1200 grade wet & dry with a drop of oil on it & gently rub this all over the bore of the engine. Wash & clean the liner really well to ensure no traces of polish or wt & dry grit remain & the liner should be good to go.

Can't remember where I read it, but it was a reputable source, and being all electric I can't speak from experience, but it seems that ATF (auto transmission fluid) is a very good after- run oil. Don't take my word for it unless a noisey, oily person confirms it!! (Wish I knew how to do that smiley, satanic face thing)

David