Vibrating outrunner

Chuck Plains

I've stopped the audible vibration by sticking about 6 small pieces of electrical tape to one side of the outrunner. But what can I replace that WITH to keep the new balance permanently? Has anyone else done this? If I remove the chrome from the side of the motor will epoxy stick? I don't think I can add solder to that area as the heat will cause the magnets to a) lose their adhesion and b) possibly lose their magnetism.

*LINK TO VIDEO*

Edited By Chuck Plains on 03/01/2014 20:46:04

Advert

I would try to get replacement. Had strong vibration (caused by a slightly bent shaft after a bad landing) - the shaft broke in midair and the prop plus the housing went of and are buried in a field next to Chipping Norton (NOMAC). I could land the plane (Webbit) somehow, just bending the landing gear a bit. I had just the static part of the motor stil on the plane...

VA

Yes a slightly off balance prop did help it a little bit, but I have wrapped it with a single turn of Scotch Magic tape for now. With the trailing end of the tape facing backwards relative to the rotation. The zip tie sounds interesting, maybe with a dab of CA for peace of mind. Anyway, now I'll have to be sure the prop is balanced correctly! The motor is fitted to a slow fly flat foam delta at the moment, so we'll see how it gets on at the indoor session on Tuesday evening at Christow.

@Vecchio You've chipped your Norton!! Bad luck man! I have a Triumph 750 that needs a respray too. wink 2

Hi there, yes I had a vibrating out runner in a boat. I ground away the heavy side until it ran sweet. U-Tube has many videos on how to balance an out runner. Just type in:- balancing an out runner. I also downloaded an app for my phone which measures vibration, that is useful as well. Hope this helps, Brian.

I had to balance a out runner like you by adding tape but with the benefit of some jewellery scales replaced it by a tiny lead weight (actually a short length of fine solder wire) glued between the appropriate magnets. Once done it is completely permanent.

I would resist grinding the bell not only for strength reasons but it is also the magnetic return path

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 05/01/2014 12:46:11