Propeller shape for glow engines

J.N.

On my glow engined models, ASP, OS LA, OS FX, and OS four stroke, I am using a mixture of standard Graupner propellers and standard APC propellers. I suppose the Graupner could be considered wide and the APC considered a scimitar shape, no matter, the two are shaped very differently. I am using APC because Just Engines recommended them and Graupner because I included them when I made up an order for Graupner bits and pieces. Since then, I have continued to buy both makes.

I am aware that us mere mortals are advised to try different propellers but I cannot tell any difference, perhaps because I just plod around the sky. Can some expert please tell me why one shape of propeller (as above) is better then the other.

They say the APC is very efficient and quiet. The lack of flex helps its efficiency as does the shape.

I cannot comment on the graupner props as I don't use them, but I tend to use the master airscrew black props for anything that does a belly landing or tries to nose-over on landing as the Masters seem to be tougher. Perhaps because they felx more. They also look scale.

The only time I have really noticed prop noise was a so-called running-in prop ion a petrol.

You could do a test of thrust and noise, perhaps a fishing scale and a noise meter from Hobbyking, the results would make interesting reading.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/01/2014 12:33:22:

APC are a fair bit quieter than the blunt Graupner props on our club noise meter, and I'm pretty sure they give notably less thrust. Graupner Sonics are ok, they are similar in shape to APC.

It did occur to me that the Graupner Sonic is similar to an APC. Perhaps Herr Graupner can throw some light onto the query.

J.N.

I quite like the standard grey Graupner prop when used on a slogging engine.

At the moment I am using a 12 x 5 on an Sc 46 in a Thunder Tiger Beaver and it pulls the model round with great authority but doesn't scream, which might be out of place on a beaver.

I also quite like them on a four stroke in a scale slow flying biplane.

I think the broad blade shifts a goodly amount of air and if you keep the tip speeds down, then they aren't noisy.