OS 70 FS surpass rebuild

GSF 7274

Hi All,

I have a stripped OS 70 FS Surpass Series 1 on my bench with a couple of issues, broken inlet valve spring and a tight piston pin.

I have been told that parts are rather hard to come by for this engine and that the valve springs are no longer made.

What I would like to ask is does any know if there is a different valve spring I can fit? I believe that OS changed the diameter of the spring between series 1 and 2 - can anyone confirm this? Any idea where I can locate valve springs?

Also I need the piston pin - I had a fight getting it out. It is slightly tight in the con rod. The piston seems ok and not worn but I have wrecked the little nylon bungs in the ends of the pin when removing it. Does anyone know if they are included in a replacement pin?

I was given the engine for free and although it looks to have had little use if I cant find these parts i'll have to bin it which seems a shame. Equally if the parts are going to cost a fortune it wont be worth it - I guess it would only be worth £60-£70 rebuilt.?

Advert

If you visit the Just Engines website they list all the spares for the Series 2 70FS.

www.justengines.unseen.org

They do list a piston pin for £4.99, but as far as I can see no separate PTFE pads for each end of the pin.

If you haven't already rung them to ask, why not try and see if the Series 2 valve springs will fit your older engine?

The Series 2 valve springs are listed as £2.26 each.

For the price of your time and a phone call it's got to be worth a gamble if it means resurrecting your engine, hasn't it?