Black Horse Stuka

MikeS

Advert

Charles no not on this flight. I did try them on the second flight but they caused the Stuka to dive so before the third flight added some up elevator mix. I need to dial it in on the next flight.

Thanks Terry I'm glad of the video as everything seemed to happen fast on the first flight. I think it is setup right but did slide its tail a little so need to check the aileron throws are equal.

Mike

Posted by Newbee phil on 12/11/2014 10:51:51:
Why are black horse models so tail heavy???? It's ridiculous ... I think I will be sticking with seagull or hangar 9 ...... these never need much weight ..... oh and thanks Terry. ....

Its a warbird, they always need lead in the nose. Its not a design flaw, just a fact as we do not have half ton V12 engines in the front like the full size did.

Also, the full size aircraft had areas for ballast be added. Hurricanes were usually tail heavy and had lead attached to the engine mounts. Spitfires have a long rod in the tail onto which lead disks can be added or removed as required.

The same is true of this Hawker Demon **LINK** where you can see the lead weights just below and behind the roundel on the fuselage.

Mike, the stuka looks great and was nicely controlled on the maiden. I was surprised to hear (from the video) that you suspect it to be tail heavy. Your comments about the flaps could indicate nose heavy. What makes you think more church is required in the nose? if its just the tail dropping the in the turns (as noted from the video) then it could just be that some rudder is required in the turn to keep the tail up. Again this is not uncommon with scale models and should be done by hand and not with a mix as the amount of rudder required will vary a lot with airspeed. The other thing was that the comment was made when you were in a right turn so engine torque will pull the nose up. Torque was apparent on takeoff as well so perhaps a little more right thrust would solve the issue. Of course, if you had full down trim to keep level then more weight it is!

Edited By Jon Harper on 12/11/2014 11:43:17

Posted by Newbee phil on 12/11/2014 10:51:51:
Why are black horse models so tail heavy???? It's ridiculous ... I think I will be sticking with seagull or hangar 9 ...... these never need much weight ..... oh and thanks Terry. ....
Hi Phil Don't want to burst your bubble regarding Hangar 9 warbirds not needing nose weight. My H9 Thunder Bolt ( 60 ) size powered by electric needed two x 6 cell 4500 mah lipos up front + a 4800 mah sub c receiver pack mounted on the motor box. so that's an extra kilo in total. It flies spot on at this weight.

Hi Charles ... me and fellow club members have various planes .. my mate barry has hangar 9 christen eagle and he put the satio 125 in as recommended in the build and it came out perfect on the cg with no added weight. .. I've had a kyosho calmato alpha .. no weight needed. . I've a seagull decathlon .. no weight needed , my black horse pitts using a os120 (as shown in the manual) 700g needed and it still isn't nose heavy... my mate who is building the new black horse taylor craft , needs a kg in the nose! He has several seagull models a yak and 2 edge's and none have needed weight.... it just seems bizarre how some manufacturers get away with the added weight issue. ....

a lot comes from how scale the outline is. The pitts has a short nose and they have always been a swine to balance. The seagull Yaks have longer noses to get over this problem.

I fly mostly WWII models and have in the past added 3lbs of lead to get the c/g right. Its not a problem and that's just the way it is. I am not sure why anyone makes an issue out of it.

Some interesting comments. Jon I set the CofG slightly nose heavy but found balancing it quite hard compared to other war birds so had concerns. My comment was unfounded as it was not pitch senative but rather sluggish on elevator.

I think the aileron throws might not be equal which I will recheck as I know this is one possible reason for the tail sliding in the turn. Later flights where I had got used to it were a lot better.

As for tail heavy being my first BH model I cant say. However my Stuka had its cockpit detailed by the original builder and might explain some of the 490g of st Mary's in the nose.

Mike

Hi Mike

If your elevator is that soft the you may indeed be nose heavy. The nose drop with flaps could also point to this. What is our elevator trim like at a cruising speed?? Be aware that most warbirds have huge changes in trim at high speed, again its not a design flaw or bad incidences, its just how they are.

With your ailerons check of equal movement and perhaps setup differential aileron (more up than down). Or, just fly with the rudder. it will not take long to get used to. Watching your video again I really think some more right thrust would help you out

Took the Stuka up to tday for a couple of flights. First flight she tracked straight on the takeoff run but rolled a little once the wheels left the ground. Jon I am thinking of a little more side trust as you suggested. General flying the elevator was not as sluggish as I thought. The CofG weeks about right.

On landing on the second flight I unfortunately found a large water logged area to touch down on and it flipped straight on its back with a splash of water. The engine is soaked and mud covered so needs a good clean inside and out.

Mike

Had to dismantle the engine and clean it out. Found dirty mud residue in the carb inlet so did not want risk fod in the cylinder and liner. With the head off found it full of water but no dirt. Any how its all clean now apart from a small circlip that needs to replaced.

Mike

dsc_0131.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up one of these airframes that was being used as a display model but really badly assembled and missing a few parts, most things I can work around but could do with some knowledge about how the undercarriage is assembled, anyone got a photo they can share showing the assembly, I may need to buy or fabricate a few bits I'm guessing. Also need all the control horns and tail wheel assembly, probably difficult to get hold of so again will need to fabricate but having paid £15 I can't really complain. Linds

Hi Mike, just to clarify something about my suggestion to add right thrust. Adding right thrust will reduce the torque swing in the horizontal (yaw) axis but will do nothing to stop the torque from rolling the model.

This is because there are two forces at work. One is a torque reaction which pulls the nose of the model to the left and can be corrected with right thrust. The other is simply the old 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction'. ie the amount of force needed to turn the prop in one direction must be cancelled out by a force in the opposite direction. as such you need more lift on one wing than the other and it most noticeable when the model is slow (due to % of total force and all that jazz). As a result you need right rudder to keep the nose straight and right aileron to keep the wings straight.

This pic shows a spitfire doing exactly that **LINK** and if you look on youtube there are some videos that show it as well

Edited By Jon Harper on 30/11/2014 10:33:18