Setting up a remote webcam at the clubs fields

Robert Tomlin

We have a Maplin weather system that gives us the weather conditions at our strip via a sym card that costs us about £1 month. We copied the system that appeared in the BMFA news some months ago. It is powered by batteries which are topped up using solar panels which also keeps the mower battery topped up and can allow limited charging for electric models.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having previously warned that the webcam host "opensmartcam.com" were stopping the service at the end of 2018,

I went on the hunt for something similar and affordable.

I am pleased to report that our club's web hosting company "Gradient Hosting" rose to the challenge and have created a custom image hosting app to run on our own web site. The image that we show to the world is found on our chmfc.co.uk/webcam.php page. However, the archive images are available to the select few in the club that like to see what happened through the day.

If this is of interest to any other club that will be losing opensmartcam or would like to explore a similar set up then please get in touch and I will pm the contact email for the guy that created it.

Posted by Colin Hooper on 08/12/2018 16:53:25:

I am pleased to report that our club's web hosting company "Gradient Hosting" rose to the challenge and have created a custom image hosting app to run on our own web site. The image that we show to the world is found on our chmfc.co.uk/webcam.php page. However, the archive images are available to the select few in the club that like to see what happened through the day.

Is this a standalone solution or would it involve moving website hosting to Gradient Hosting?

Martin Harris, the actual software required to run the image hosting needs to sit on a server within the gradient hosting domain, but you do not have to move your web site to them. It is a commercial offering to host the images (not expensive) and it suits us to keep everything on the same server platform.

In a way, it is no different from using a third party host such as opensmartcam offered.