Steveo's new toy

Stevo

The Compact lathe is quite a good book but basic, the Mod Eng Workshop Manual is in a different class though and is worth that money if any book is. You should be able to reserve it from a library, though it's very likely you will want your own copy soon after!
Tee Publishing list quite a few books on minilathes and they have all sorts of gadgets to add to the lathe. Trouble is one just ends up being fascinated by making tools and not models......

Ok - done some research into the 'taper' It' sadvertised as a B10 x MT0....

An MT0 (or morse Taper size 0) is two inches long.

The taper on the live centre for this lathe is 24mm long, 9mm at one end and 8mm the other (or 1" x 0.354" x 0.315". Looking at a B10 taper it is not that.

So, if we chop the MT0 in half, I get something that is very close to the one I have - 1" x 0.35" x 0.304" (probably within th elimits and errors of my measurements).

I'll look / join some model engineering forums too and see if there are any proxxon 150/E users...

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well.

NOT impressed. Chucked some 25mm diameter Aluminium, and faced of OK. Had to keep tightening the motor grub screw as the motor turned but the chuck didn't.

Took several light cuts to reduce the diameter - 0.2 - 0.3mm at a time. After half a dozen cuts, there was a loud bang and sparks flew out of the motor. End of story.

Emailed Axminster as it's still under 2 months warranty. crying

• 1 month later...

Progress, eventually!

It was dropped back to Axminster, and heard nothing after 3 weeks. Emailed them, asking for an alternative. The only reply was that it is to be repaired and sent back. Emailed again to discuss options. No reply. Email followed that it had been repaired. Emailed again to discuss options - no reply.

Lathe arrived this morning, missing the original box and all the tools/handles/spanners necassary to operate it. I powered it up, it has had a new motor and power PCB fitted.

Left it running continuously for 6-7 minutes - did not machine anything at all. Noticed a burning smell. Shut it off straight away. Headstock was hot. Motor was too hot to touch.

Emailed Axminster again. 2 hrs later I received a call (but was unable to answer). An apologetic email followed offering me an immediate refund or an altarnative with a discount. They sadi it should never have been sent back to me without discussion!

May well exchange it for a Sieg C1,

Indeed Masher, I could not agree more. Sometimes you get sucked into this whole Proxxon thing.. Precision tools they may be and I have good experience of them, until now.

Alas I have not got "old myford" money as they hold thier value. Last time I used one it was a Super 7! Lovely machine. Unless you have one for me? kiss Darling ...

Agreed about the 25mm stuff, but taking a 0.1mm cut? And today, just leaving it running for 5-6 minutes, under no load and it overheats?

When I was turning the 25mm ali, the tool and work were stone cold. The motor however decided to go poof!

Thanks..

Well, hopefully a resolution. I stated that I would like to keep the business with Axminster, and asked them for a price on a Sieg C1. OK so it's not a Super 7 but will do all I need plus more - and the range of accessories is batter than the Proxxon.

They replied - and offered me 10% off and threw in a Tailstock chuck for free. Can't argue with that!

My strongest suggestion would be to invest in some indexable cutting tools and, it doesn't look like you have one, a quick change tool post with additional holders. There are loads of other things if you don't have them, drill chuck for the tail stock, cutting oil, goggles etc.

Enjoy!