Steveo's new toy

Stevo

I'm afraid you will need to sell a couple of more items If you need to make a variety of parts. You will need a micrometer, a digital vernier, some suitable HSS spare tools( forget about TC for now- is difficult to sharpen but needed for cast iron or difficult metals) a tailstock die holder, a drill chuck, various taps and dies, a tap wrench, a bench grinder etc. etc etc. Start by making as many accessories as you can on the lathe as this will give valuable expereince if you have none previously. Tailstock die-holder is a useful start.

There are lots of good books on using a lathe but the very best is The Model Engineers Workshop Manual by George Thomas / Tee Publishing.

Full of information & marvellous designs of tooling to make. Each design is exquisite and perfect in design & function.

Hey Thomas, no problem at all. Your advice is welcome. Kieth - I'll google that book and get on the case.

I must admit I do lack a bit of tool steel at the moment. I'll get some 6mm square and grind up a couple - I've got a white fine wheel on the grinder for that. May be temped for the odd tipped tool or two, not that I'm turning iron, but don't fancy keep sharpening them. However I may need to turn down a bit of large diameter Piano Wire, so tipped they may be.

The add-ons for this model are a bit few and far between, of course a drill chuck for the headstock, alas no die holder. I have all the taps and dies from 2 - 10mm, with a tap wrench. I've got my eye on a 4 jaw chuck too, but may require a little fettling to get it to fit.

As I said I always wanted one, I used one throughout my apprenticeship (When dinosaurs ruled the earth) and even in secondary school. My dad taught me to turn wood when I was around 8 years old...I had to sell an aeroplane and a wood lathe to get it crying

I'm no master craftsman of course and do not pretend to be. indecision

More equipment to my arsenal? I would love a milling machine again, I did have one but sold it on as times were a bit tough. I really regret doing that now. I'm OK for a sanding machine, both disc and spindle. plus dust extraction!

Pillar drill came again from Axminster, with 3/4Hp motor. perhaps a small thickness planer but not urgent.

I would really love to design a thicknesser - based upon a sanding drum, so I could thickess my balsa etc accurately and quickly. Ideas anyone?

Next is to make some templates for the router - the bain of my life is cutting rectangular holes for servos...

The George Thomas book has a design to make a tailstock die holder which is rather better than those in other books.
Does the Proxon have a standard headstock thread and register -perhaps it's the same as a Unimat or Emco or something which would make it easier to get a 4 jaw chuck.

Thanks Kieth.

The taper is a 'MK0' apparently... I shall research Unimat & Emco, and see if there is anything compatible. I have used a tailstock die holder., and I've also used a standard die holder - I've always managed to get the latter on straight, but of course a die holder guarantees it, particularly on a fine thread.

Possibly that is a size 0 Morse taper. last years Axminster catalogue says its MK 0 short bore. This year its not included so maybe that means you should buy all the bits whilst they are available!
However "The Compact Lathe" by Stan Bray says Cowells lathes had Morse 0 tapers slightly shortened.
The Geo Thomas book quotes exact dimensions for all tapers, Morse, Metric,Jarno,Jacobs, Browne & Sharp etc. It shows 0 morse is quite close to 1 Morse but not the same! My old Unimat SL has plain tailstock, no taper and I think newer ones may be same.

Tracy Tools list Unimat threads in their taps & dies and the old one is 12 mm and the newer Unimat 14 mm the pitch is not clear in their list- its either .75 or 1.0. I cannot find anything else which quotes threads used on minilathes but no doubt its out there on the web somewhere.

I presume you already know of Home & Workshop Machinery at Foots Cray as a good supplier of secondhand lathe stuff. Could be they know what lathe parts fit.
I think Proxxon could have some connection or similarity to Hobbymat.
Back to the enquiry about thickness sanding. Purely by accident today I came across an article by Len Johnson in Aviation Modeller Int August 1998 which shows how to make a simple sanding machine for profile sanding ribs etc. The idea uses a bearing rather like the bearing guided router bits - bearing near the motor end not the tip- and he also uses his machine to sand to thickness. This is a dead simple machine using a buggy motor with a prop adaptor to take a sanding band. May not be the proper engineering job you envisage but it might provide ideas.
If you dont have this magazine handy send me a PM.

Edited By kc on 23/02/2014 12:31:26