Going IC from electric

Gixerbenten

Hi all, after all your brains again. I started flying last year and now feel I'm quite confident. The thing is all my models are electric foamies and I fancy going ic but know nothing. I fly by myself from a mates farm so no club for advice. I've no interest in building as I'm a carpenter and play with enough wood. Is there a big difference in the actual flying ? 2 or 4 stroke ? Really no idea. I've been offered a never flown Weston UK Obsession fully kitted out but don't know if that would be suitable. I like to fly low and fast with pretty tame aerobatics. Any advice, Id be very gratefull. Cheers all

Advert

What motor is in the Obsession?

Biggest issue with IC is getting the fuel, not a problem if you have a local model shop. Plenty of videos on tuning so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Might need to think about starting gear, fuel pump, electric starter (not essential)

Hard to say with 2 or 4 stroke, depends on the set up.

Simon

you'll probably find ic a fair bit heavier than the foamies you've been used to , so they'll come in slightly faster on landing , I'm biased towards ic myself , but I have had numerous foamies , great fun I must say without the hassle of bringing fuel , starter gear , glow sticks , plugs , ect . But its still ic for me , just ordered a 91 four stroke for a hurricane . Plus you'll enjoy the smoke trails left in the sky on a sunny day lol

Well a 120 powered Obsession is a big step up from an electric foamy so I would urge a bit of caution here....especially as you fly on your own. A 120 is a big motor......20cc & probably swinging a 16" prop or so. The potential to hurt yourself if you get it wrong is considerable.

Such a model will take up a lot more sky to fly it & whilst not difficult it will be different.

The Obsession is a good model from what I hear so if the price is right maybe buy it & tuck it away......!!

Might I suggest you look at the Soar 40 from Hobbyking...this costs around £45. Add an ASP52 for another £45 or so & you have a great combination. It will teach you a lot about flying a heavier IC model & also how to handle an IC engine.

I think you're being very wise......thumbs up

Don't be put off by the colour scheme of the Soar 40....it flies really nicely & a 52 with an 11x7 or a 12x6 prop will whizz it around very nicely. Pop Soar 40 in the search box & you'll find a good few threads on it.....

Other than that the Wot 4 takes a lot of beating......its no wonder they are popular!!

The name of the game here is to extend your skills....from flying a foamy to flying a bigger heavier model & operating an IC engine....two new skills! The trick is to learn to walk before you can run.

To operate an IC engine you will also need a starter plus a battery, a glow starter plus fuel & a pump for getting the fuel into the model....

Oh & welcome to one of lifes great mysteries......new engines don't come with a glow plug...you have to buy one seperately even though you can't run the engine without it. A bit like buying a new car & finding the spark plugs on the options list....sad

I think a 120 powered Obsession may well be a step too far for a first glow fuel plane but nevertheless I would like to welcome to the "oily engine club" even if only by intent! Just go for something slightly less ambitious for your first toe in the water.

I've flown stinky planes for many years and tried electric a few years ago, it's great for a quick flying fix but operating a real engine in miniature is what really floats my boat (or flies my plane, take your pick!).

Shaunie.

Just a quick update. I did buy the Obsession, had it for 250, all it needs is a battery so happy with that but I've no intentions of flying it yet. It's massive ! Came across a Model Tech Dragon Lady on ebay just up the road so I got that RTF for 100, think that will be ok for me to start with. Thanks for all the advice and comments, I'm in smile p