Large petrol and plane - not sure what to do with it

luke robinson

Hi all,

I have a large petrol I think remote control plane, not knowing anything im looking for advice what todo with it, such a reconditon it even though it looks in good condition, scrap it or sell it. I have tested what I can apart from the engin as I dont know anything about it or the process to test it. can you shed any light on these photos on the link please.

Thanks for the info Dave, if it was a computer repair im your man but rc planes etc im lost. i'm located in Stafford. I might try and give the engin a test over the weekend once I know how too, will not try and fly it though as have damged left eye so dont have depth perception :-s do you think it my be a good recondition project for someone? or should scrap it?

Best Regads

Luke

If you have no previous experience, even testing the engine can be dangerous. You need to anchor the model somehow, so it can't move forward when the engine fires up; you need to keep all loose objects away from the model so they can't get caught up in the breeze when the engine starts; and you need to keep yourself and your clothing away from the prop for obvious reasons.

What you can do without any experience is make sure the engine turns over smoothly. After sitting for a long while it may be gummed up with oil residue, and/or may have rusty bearings. The former can be fixed by taking out the glow plug and squirting some WD-40 in, then waggling the prop around by hand until everything turns freely. Then flush out the WD-40 with some kind of good oil (WD-40 is not a lubricant) before letting anyone try to start it with glow fuel.

To get the engine started you'll need some glow fuel (as Dave Bran has said, it's methanol-based), a glow-plug energiser (usually something between 1.5v and 2.0v), maybe a new glow plug, and preferably an electric engine starter. You'll also need some way of controlling the throttle. It can be the original radio equipment if it's working (possibly needs new batteries), or it could be manual control of the pushrod or flexible rod that runs from the model's throttle servo to the arm on the carburetor. The simplest and safest way would be to find a local model flying club where someone can use their starting equipment and fuel to do it for you. They will also let you know if the plane can be useful to someone -- from your photos it looks like it could be. If nobody chips in with a suggestion, you can look up local clubs at the www.bmfa.org web site.

Do you'r self a big favour Luke ,if you don't know what you are doing especially with a large petrol engine leave it alone you could quite easily take a few fingers off or even you'r hand if it's a big motor .I would suggest if you know of a club near you take it there and ask someone there to test it or give you some info on all you have there .good luck Bernie.

Posted by Bernie on 21/02/2014 10:41:34:

Do you'r self a big favour Luke ,if you don't know what you are doing especially with a large petrol engine leave it alone you could quite easily take a few fingers off or even you'r hand if it's a big motor .I would suggest if you know of a club near you take it there and ask someone there to test it or give you some info on all you have there .good luck Bernie.

I`m with Bernie on this one, it will cost you money to try it as you will need fuel and starting equipment

it will be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing, take it to one of your local clubs and seek advice there, as said before if you plan to sell dont expect to get rich...

now ive looked at the photo , doesn't seam to be anything wrong with it, and will be worth selling.

Edited By iqon on 21/02/2014 11:25:57

Looks like an old Precedent Hi-Boy? Popular around the late 80's early 90's. I do believe I see an electric starter too. Could make a nice trainer for someone starting out. Not worth much, though. By way of explanation in terms you might appreciate, the radio gear is the equivalent of a Commodore 64.Probably still works but surpassed by new technology.

Out of interest that "link" by Dave Bran is waaaay out of date, to my certain knowlege four of those clubs no longer exist and some others have moved/changed names, even the "link" site is mainly ancient with the last activity on it being Sep' 2013. Best club finder info' is of course the bumpha site and even that contains errors and misinformation.

wow blast from the past there its a precedent hiboy turbo, i lalways wanted one of them many years ago fitted with what looks like a merco engine, an old mfa power panel, all the stuff is really old and to be honest you will be lucky to get 40 quid for it, best bet is get in touch with a local club and offer to donate it for an advanced trainer, and be happy that its getting used to teach people

• 2 weeks later...

eBay it you have already said Retro a few more like Vintage Etc. I came across a tread on our sister site where they can and do use language that we do not; so to coin his phrase paint it up (metaphorically) and she will sell... Oh and don't forget to use all the dirty tricks like advertised elsewhere, I reserve the right to...

Or donate to your local club they may invite you along for a session on a Flight Sim from there who knows what..

Good luck and all the best Luke, my Hi-Boy few like a brick before itnosed in.

Kind regards David; Guilty of insanity or just old age

Edited By David Tweddle on 03/03/2014 15:13:02