Savage bobber

Hi everyone I wonder if some one know about wing tail incidence to help me set up my home made bobber

At the moment is 0 incidence on both just want to make sure is acceptable before first flight also I have build a 4 servo wing and like to set up flap this is my first time I am going to use it and I am not to sure about how much to go for and expect! or would it be better to set it up as crow! I would like to achieve a very slow landing a bit like STOL as our club strip as a fence on both end and lost count of planes casualty not jus that I got the radio and set up just like to experiment.

Thanks in advance Giuseppe

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Lets start again forget my last words because I cant delete them!

This is my own design based on the Savage bobber and when I saw it in RCM&E a while back I just fell in love with it, you can buy the rc version from Zling aviation for over 4000 euro but is out of my league so I decided to build my own what you see is the electric version of it and is powered by a 280watts motor (I could do with just a bit more but that's all I hade) 6 servos inc flaps a power is from a 2.200 lipo and all up wedht is a tad over 1.3 Kg the wing span is 62".

The tail and wings are not scale because I used the the Aeronca C3 wings and tail from a project never finished the fuselage I did my best to replicate the scale one, anyway to my delight I flew it 2 weeks ago and if slight under powered it flew BEAUTIFUL very slow so slow actually that I could run faster.

I am so happy with it that the next one will be a proper scale one. I intend to do it in 1/4 scale with a wing span of about 84" have flaps and a nice old os120 Gemini,my bobber (40).jpg the fuselage in carbon tube or dowels big fat wheels and around the 4Kg AUW using commercial front windshield and cowling, here are some pictures during my 6 weeks build and I enjoyed every moment of it especially as this is my first own design. This picture is what inspired me.

my bobber (24).jpg

my bobber (22).jpg

my bobber (10).jpg

my bobber (12).jpg

my bobber (14).jpg

my bobber (15).jpg

my bobber (16).jpg

my bobber (26).jpg

my bobber (39).jpg

my bobber (11).jpg

my bobber (25).jpg

Hi Giuseppe

Fantastic project, I like the battery location.

Glad it flies well, you've beaten me to it as I also have one planned as my next project.

Please make sure you post your new one as a build log as I'd love to see it.

Regards

John

Thanks John nice to hear from you again

I am just starting to accumulate the bits I need for the new one, I already got the os 120 Gemini but I need to do some research on the fuselage building do I use (carbon tube! steel tube or wood dowels!) the wings and tail are the easiest to do I got a friend with a laser cutter machine and the wheels are going to be sourced from (**LINK** the do some lovely big fat balloon wheels for 50 euro from 140mm up to 200mm the are beautiful, so I anticipate the start for the 2014 winter project

I might turn this one ic as I got a old os 15, put the engine side way and there for I could tidy up the cockpit

area, do let us know when you start yours I love to see it

Regards Giuseppe

Wow John you are good, like you build and attention to details, the staining and meshing is very interesting I wonder if the wood stain is fuel prof, that could be a option if I do my bobber in wood dowels fuselage I have also dabbed in depron ribs but I found by the time I use uhu poor there where just as heavy as normal ribs and the accuracy is not the same so I give up and went back to balsa.

If you need some laser cut done just post or email a scan to **LINK** is very good and if you supply the wood he probably do you 50 ribs for a £5 he dose all my work and some of my club member as well, is worth check him out you never know on day you have kit on you hands

Just out of interest I also thing that the Aeronca C3 could be a candidate for the bobber look!

Regards Giuseppe

WOW Peter Miller a privilege to talk to you I heard a lot about you and admire you design skills I just look at you album very impressive and I recognise some of you design but the suspension/dumpers have never seen before and is very interesting indeed the might be just right for my new bobber front and tail wheels,

On My customs bikes Big engine fat wheels open frame chrome and suspension is what make them unique and in my opinion beautiful so why not do it on planes

Regards Giuseppe

Steve why not, I know the are very good slow flyers, maybe copy the tail keep the wings with aileron put flaps on it (optional) the tail put some fat wheels on it copy the fuselage to a open structure should take long! as long as you maintain the wings and tail incidence you can go wrong(you get 2 planes to share the wings) let me know how you getting on I am sure John Milne too will be interested in you project.

Cheers Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe and Steve,

You may want to look at this thread for some ideas on the FunCub.

Thanks for the feedback Giuseppe, the Dawn Flyer's been a real fun project.

I've got most of my ideas thought through but would love to see others take on it.

Bike looks terrific, I'd love to own one but would be too scared to go on the road..

Regards

John

Thanks John, I like is carbon frame fuselage it looks so good, I remember a while back talking to deluxe material and the man himself suggesting the use of Aero Epoxy for carbon tube bonding! as anybody used it or know of some one who have remember I need to glue a vertical tube to horizontal!

I wish my flying field was like that too

Giuseppe

• 1 month later...

img_0216.jpgHi Just to show my progress on my new Bobber powered by a OS 120 Gemini from 1979 mk1 swinging a 16x6 prop

I got the engine second hand and it runs beautifully I done the tail for it in solid 1/4 hard balsa because this is a big lump up front over a1 kg and so far it seems to balance ok with out lead the carbon frame is 7mm carbon tube glued with devcon 1hour epoxy and it seems to be very strong the glue joint is stronger than balsa in my testing I hade to put the servos at the back to get near my C.G(I would have preferred under the seats) if all ok next time I will make fuselage I tad longer with a tad short front but hey you learn as you go so far it weight just over 3 Kg with solid tail just awaiting for my laser cut wings, the seat are covered in lather

the wing span is going to be 84" I should have finished in a couple of month?

What do you thing? any ideas are most welcome Regards Giuseppe

img_0212.jpg

I got a lot of picture during the build but I am not in to typing I rather build

img_0224.jpg

img_0225.jpg

img_0226.jpg

img_0227.jpg

img_0229.jpg

img_0237.jpg

img_0241.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All I wonder if anyone can help me

I purchase 2 futaba coreless S9202 servo second hand, the are both almost new I think the older gentlemen only used a few times in is 1/4 scale cub, anyway they both work fine but they both seems to buzz when I return the transmitter sticks to neutral for few seconds and then it stops is this normal!

I Would like to use one of them in my bobber to control the rudder but I don't know if this is normal

Thanks in advance

• 5 weeks later...

I have now finished the wings glue the tail last night and set the radio, I am going for the C.G at 25% starting point

but I am not to show about the aileron/flap/elevator rudder throw any suggestion is appreciated! also the flap settings

She is looking good and I can see a flight at the end of the tunnel

next time is flight time

Thanks Giuseppe

img_0004.jpg

img_0005.jpg

img_0018.jpg

img_0019.jpg

img_0023.jpg

img_0033.jpg

img_0039.jpg

img_0041.jpg

img_0047.jpg