Westland Whirlwind

A.A. Barry

Gents, another successful flight last weekend, the orginal concept of my retracts was good , but they are to sloppy, (need a professioal machinist), so I am reverting to commercial ones, but coupled 2 side by side on each nacele, so as to get the double 'Leg effect", also it will be more reliable.
In the weight factor, I don't think that it will matter, because, on cement/ashphalt, it is in the air in 10 to 8 mts, anyway that is where I am at now with it.      Barry 

Advert

Stephen, re the Galaxy model. I recently built one. It is not scale because the rear fuselage, instead of being circular has a flat bottom, to me this completely spoils the look and this is not easy to change. The wing is a good veneered foam item. I found that the rear plastic deck and fin assembly is very fiddly to assemble and because the elevator snake assembly is trapped inside you have to have a lot of patience and three hands..
Also it needs a lot of ballast and the only place to put it is in the nacelles.!

Richard, I didn't use rods, I mounted Hiteck 101 servos in the fin, that is because of the size of the model,, maybe mimn mini servos wuold suit that size, I try not to use rods ,as the "sloppy" end result.
 The Whirly can be tail heavy, if is built thus.... the build that i did is as the plan( fuz) suggested, and belive me I am one to make sure nothing breaks. With the advent of all the chinese and so on ARF's, it appears to me we have been overbuilding models for decades. The fus should be built on a "cruch "system and "planked using soft strips, then sanded and covered in light wieght F/G resin and then it makes it as strong as... and light 
THe model you have built I have had a look at, but not done, Pete Wilson's EP one is far better BUT, time, I have had several email's about the plan and they all say it is a great flyer, (besides my video).
BUT do not despair, Tony N has stated that he WIll be designing one shortly, as there is a lot of interest in the plane.
 Thanks for the interest     Barry

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 26/04/2009 11:27:46

• 4 months later...
Guys, I HAVE decided, finally, with the model "upgrade' for a few reasons not to go ahead with the colour scheme, :-
1...... the model is not true scale, but it is faultless in the air, and stunning
 2......It realy was a good testbed for my building technics
 3......Aus Nat's are here, in (W.A) in 2yrs
 3....... the U/C retracts, I had to build was not going to be sufficient,  to be sustainable
 4...... A different approach (building them, and simpler)to the retracts has come my way
 5....... JUST start again. to hard to redovelop the U/C
 SO, where does this leave me.
 A NEW redesigned model.
90"" W/Span. 2 x 90 RCV's and all other things.
some of you that have followed this build , I wish to thank you for all of your encourgement and ideas..................... Watch for the new build............Mk2
                                                                     ALWAYS
                                                     the Westland  WhirlWind

THANKS ALL
A.A Barry

• 2 months later...
Well, it's been a while, but finally the "battle dress" is on, the W.W has had it's 9th flight, all but the last with the TT54's, I re engined it with OS 56a's no problems with these cuting out, got the U/C to work and the "doors" to shut, lots of hours, but well worth it ..........check out the following      

Barry

That is one beautiful day and model. The model has such presence.

Now what about getting the FW flying.

I would think you must be really envious of us in the UK, with our Steel Grey, leadened sky, floods, zephyr like winds, especially those coming from the east, and the cold, that mind numbing cold. But being positive winter is now starting.

So after the FW, what else is being built. A Welkin or maybe a DH Hornet, perhaps?

Erfolg

Erfolg, Ta, when I got around to the painting, and the colour "sky" was required, I looked at the colour on the top of the tin,.... then looked up to heavens ....and pondered "sky, that colour is not the colour of my sky........oh well it must the english sky colour"
DH hornet........I do have the plans for it ,  laser cut parts would then really entice me.
I am leaning towards another W.W only 3mts this time....but expensive it is
Thanks Bruce also
 The paint is "Warbird Colours", if you haven't tried , do so, it is simply fantastic to use.a "plug" for Phil at "Fighter Ace's" 

Edited By Barry Wetherell on 14/12/2009 22:05:58

• 2 months later...
Update,
 if you are thinking of building this size W.W, I would redsiegn the flap mechanism, instead of all the rods and bellcranks, with todays small efficient servos, you could mount the servo in the nacelle rear , hollowed out or built up, and direct coulpe it to the fixed part of the nacelle, would save heaps of work.
The servo actually would move out with the flaps, simple eh,....T.N
A.A.Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 02/03/2010 13:59:56

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...