Pulse Jet Airframe

Stephen Horan

Will Kens club be closed down if someone flys a pulse jet within 5 miles of his club? he seems a sensible fella to me, why would they punish him for someone elses wrong doing?

it seems to be suggesting that you do not think this would be the case??

my experience has been that some people would yes, an example: there is a pub near me, it has been there since the dawn of time, a new housing development was built very close to it, a few months later one or two of the residents managed to raise a noise abatement order as people were coming out of the pub a bit rowdy as they have been doing for centuries!!! it is that sort of mentality that we have to deal with at times and sadly it gets listened to by the local councils, so we just have to be a bit sensible at times and when someone asks about flying what perhaps is the noisiest form of propulsion for a model aircraft, then rightly the peeps on here were a tad cautious.

and yes Wiltshire you may well be right, thankfully apart from Moonpie most have been sensible and courteous to each other

Well there was one constructive thing on my post, pre moderation or deletion. I was one of the few willing to take a punt that the OP was genuine and offer some kind of encouragement. Rather than shoot him down over some perceived lack of experience, noise, danger, loss of every flying site known to the uk flyer, would it not have been better to have been a bit less damning and patronising. That is a knee jerk reaction if ever I saw it. Read back though the majority of the posts. Pretty negative, no escaping the fact.

Call me naive, go to town, I have been called far worse. But if there was even a chance he was genuine and he has been shouted down on here then I think that is pretty tragic. I was merely optimistic and enthusiastic that someone with the inclination has a go at this pulse jet scene.

End of the day, if the man has said pulse jet in his possession he is most likely going to crack on with strapping it to something anyway, so no amount of bitching on here will stop him.

The nature of the questions the OP was asking would surely suggest that he was relatively inexperienced. They were not in my view questions an experienced modeller/pilot would ask. I could be wrong of course, but as the OP has not completed a profile it is impossible to know his level experience. So forum members will naturally tend to form a view based the level and type of questions he asks.

This is why we always encourage contributors to complete their personal profile - it helps members to pitch what they say when asked for advice.

Purely as an aside and an observation and not drawing any particular conclusion from this, its perhaps coincidental, but all of those on this page who may be said to have discouraged the OP from experimenting with Pulse Jets have completed their profile. Whilst none of those who might be said to be in the "give it a go" camp have. Curious that smile

BEB

I don't agree that the OP got a lug bashing ...... he asked for help and anyone's experience and was told over a broad spectrum of the ins and out's of the practicalities of a 'pulse jet'........ so maybe at the end of the day he now has a better understanding of how the things work and where you can and cant use them........And by enquiring on the forum here-he might have saved himself some grief.........and finally surely he is man enough to take on board some of the iffy comments.........once you declare your plan on a public forum-you are going to get all points of view(for/against) .....its a shame he hasn't come back to further his plan with everyone....

ken Anderson ne....1 . PJ dept.

Posted by john melia 1 on 05/04/2014 09:34:35:

Would be nice to hear a comment or two from him though

Well if he has tried running his pulse jet HE won't be hearing much for a bit.

I would strongly recommend that everyone interested goes to the Nats and hears just how loud they are before they spend any money.

Ear protection is an absolute must - deafness is not funny. I also understand that some of the fuel mixes they use can contain the sort of stuff you really don't want to get on your skin - at least according to the H&S bods.

Plummet