Pulse Jet Airframe

Stephen Horan

Hello,

Thanks Pete and Ken for the reply, I understand the rules and regulations. However what sort of airframe? Convert a EDF jet, Flying wing? thanks. Hobbyking Pulse Jet weighs 460grams and hopefully will produce 1.6kg of thrust. So am I looking for a model that weights 1.6kg?

Stephen

Ken. The answer is anywhere - once !!! Second time might be at Her Majesty's discretion.

On second thoughts. The Gazza Strip might be a good idea. At least he would get the locals on his side.  teeth 2

Stephen. I think you are going to encounter heat related problems (one way or another !). Either that or you have posted this thread a day early !

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 31/03/2014 19:39:53

In answer to your first question, Stephen, there are probably very few on this forum who have had recent, practical experience of a pulse jet, for all the reasons hinted at above and in the thread I linked to earlier.

If you've read that, you'll gather that there are real concerns amongst modellers should someone go it alone and possibly create problems for modellers in whichever location you choose to fly.

None of those models you've linked to seem a practical proposition for a pulse jet anyway - most tend to be one-off designs built around the requirements of the system - which makes us question whether you have either the necessary experience, or, as Kevin b has hinted, you're winding us up....smile

You've recently joined the forum, there is no profile outlining your experience and you've been rather less than forthcoming to the questions asked of you so far. That alone makes me wonder just how serious you are about this.

If you were to be a bit more open with us about your plans, modelling background and intentions, you might get more constructive responses.

Pete

Noise is your first problem. Get some really good ear-defenders, 137 db as used for ground crew. Practice sign language with your helper. Find a really remote ground - I used an ex-WW2 jap airfield in Mindanao.

Fire risk is your second problem. Have some extinguishers near your starter pack. Mount the jet in free air. Keep tailplanes well away from the efflux. Use 0.5mm aluminium heat shielding to protect fuse. Build in an emergency fuel cut-off. I used a pull ring with red ribbon. The system gets armed before take-off and the ring can then be removed. Disarming is via the throttle cut on the TX, so you get to choose when to land.

Have you seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxQrR9cFt38 

, it seems to fly a 40 size trainer ok

I am just designing a model for mine, a mini version of my larger Zanin Z-jet powered one , i am going for about 30 inch span delta for the small jet , the Zanin powered delta is much bigger wing area at 42 inch span, but is a bit quick at about 3 or 4 times the power of thee HK one, the Z-jet does start easier though, i think because its bigger

I dont fly them in the UK though, I fly on an old airfield

The BMFA have a bit in there members booklet about the UK regulations for them, you need land owners permission due to the noise problems at least

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 01/04/2014 17:03:09

Edited By StarLoc FiveStar Adhesives on 01/04/2014 17:04:22

It seems you're not getting a great deal of advice at the moment , as everyone seems to be very anti pulse jet , I say go for it , long as you can find somewhere with no neighbours around

I would also have a go with one ,if I could find somewhere isolated , wonder if I could fly one at albermarle barracks ?

Hqve a look on xjets channel he has a few vids on pulse jet engines

you say go for it John...mmm would you be so supportive if said person with little experience rams it into a building and kills a few people, the fallout from which could cause a ban on flying models of any type, we all know how prone to knee jerk reactions politicians are, they are horrifically noisy and should only be operated and flow by very experienced fliers with express permission and insurance, it really does not need people just spouting "go for it"

the caution and nervousness on the forum is a wise attitude

Now now boys - play nicely together! smile

I'm in complete agreement with Lee here. Pulse jets are not for "having a go with". If you've ever seen one in operation you'll know what I mean. They are super-fast, fire breathing, deafeningly loud (literally) monsters. Flown on very isolated sites (the one used for the annual fly in is an RAF base in a remote part of Scotland) by very experienced pilots OK. But otherwise - definitely not recommended.

They should in no way be confused with gas turbines - I'm not a gas turbine flyer but fly with guys with them regularly. A GT powered model is no where near a loud or as fast, or as fiery and generally anti-social. No comparison at all.

BEB

My objection or really concerns is very much the noise. Even the video gives a clue, the noise is as if you are stood next to it, when it is some distance away flying. What was most spectacular was the silence once the pulse jet had stopped, and then you became aware that all the dogs in the area were barking, just like the modeller.

My other concern, is one of safety, the tail pipe gets mad hot. If that lands in a crop?

The obvious other safety issue is that one that you need to be as good with the old fashion pylon racers, where they went flat out, and the modeller had to keep up with it. Probably about the same speed in practice.

Here is a video I took in 2009 when I went to InterEx in Holland, I believe they are legal to fly over there but at this event were only allowed 2 flights per day. Very Very noisy but impressive all the same..

And this was a walk around the flying contraptions, the pulse jet is just being set up on its launch ramp at the beginning.
Rich

Posted by Lee Smalley on 02/04/2014 12:54:20:

you say go for it John...mmm would you be so supportive if said person with little experience rams it into a building and kills a few people, the fallout from which could cause a ban on flying models of any type, we all know how prone to knee jerk reactions politicians are, they are horrifically noisy and should only be operated and flow by very experienced fliers with express permission and insurance, it really does not need people just spouting "go for it"

the caution and nervousness on the forum is a wise attitude

Well that could go for anyone with any model couldnt it lee ? I saw a very very experienced person lose control of a weston magnum at nigh on 200mph , it hit a chimney pot and virtually destroyed it.

I think any high powered model regardless of what it is powered with can be lethal , also in my earlier post I mentioned fly it somewhere where there is no neighbours , ie in a secluded area .

No one to hit there apart from yourself . And why is everyone assuming he has no experience , ?

Posted by Wiltshire Flyer on 02/04/2014 15:52:31:
I don't think any form of jet propulsion is needed in our hobby.
Far too many safety risks far outway the justifications.

Why do you think no form of jet propulsion is needed in our hobby , your opinion granted and you're perfectly entitled to it , but that is a wide sweeping comment , whats wrong with turbines ? Why should you not want them in our hobby.

I think anyone who can afford a turbine rc aircraft knows only to well what they are , and obviously have a legal site to fly them on .

Who else thinks turbines/jet propulsion should not be a part of our hobby I'm curious to find out and why .