Airsail Chipmunk Kit limited re run.

ZK BAP

There is a chance that some more of this popular scale aircraft kit will be produced. I have been in contact with Brian from Airsail, and have discussed making more 'Chippies'. He has agreed to maybe, i say maybe, producing say 50 or so kits for you guys over there. This could be a good opportunity for some to bulk buy and distribute. The plane is a fantastic flyer, and well proven design. I love my one and fly it on a regular basis as my favorite plane. Hard to find a 'true builders kit' now a days. Feedback, questions etc most appreciated, cheers

ZK BAP

Yes scale is good. Flies great as you will find out. A "true builders kit" dose require some hard work and "think out side the square" syndrome, but that is what building a machine is all about. The second chip takes off on maiden you get a sense of satisfaction. A flawless design, special subject, and old school make this one a beaut, My 61 flings her round lol.

Posted by ZK BAP on 11/04/2014 10:55:08:

Flies great as you will find out.

I think I've managed to confirm the flying characteristics ZK - been flying her since 2003!

My preference is to try and fly as realistically as possible - I have other models for wanging around the sky - and yesterday it was just perfect for Chipmunkery at my flying site. A light breeze, warm (for spring) sunshine in a blue sky with fluffy cumulous as a background and a freshly cut runway. A mixture of scale type aeros - loops, stall turns, reversals, slow and barrel rolls, spins, which are very good with a fast nose down rotation from a classic entry (no aileron required) just like the real thing, side slips, slow passes and touch and goes (proper ones with a good ground roll allowing me to retract the flaps from full to half before taking off again) kept me happily occupied between other duties.

I hope some more do get produced - it's a very rewarding model to build and fly.

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/04/2014 14:20:13

I pulled my out the shed the other day just for a run, since we have had rain for 10 days plus. Started first time and purred. The machine just wants to fly. A born natural air plane. I think some times it is referred to as a 'poor mans spitfire' , not sure on that one, but is definitely aerobatic. Yet floats in for a landing with out the tip stall. My mate just turned up with the last kit of the last run he is going to build. In my hangar! lol. All good. I look forward to help build another 'Chippy".

Regards

ZK BAP

I taught a clubmate to fly models a couple of years ago and he owns a share in a Chipmunk, has had a couple of hours in the "Carolyn Grace" 2 seater Spitfire and is currently part of a syndicate building a Mk 26 Spit (not quite the real thing but he's not a multi-millionaire!)

He's firmly of the opinion that the Chippie's handling is very close to the Spitfire and apart from the sheer performance aspect, is a very similar experience.

In addition, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight have a Chipmunk which they use to train new pilots so I think the "Poor man's Spitfire" epithet may be quite valid.

Yes - I was lucky enough to be offered an afternoon with him in the Chipmunk - an offer that I accepted in a millisecond!

Wow Martin, lucky you getting that flight in a chippy, I am all green lol.

Great to have some real pilot feed back and especially for both aircraft, cool.

Good news is the guys are working out the numbers so lets hope they come up trumps and can get some kits on their way soon.

Will keep you guys posted on any progress.

Regards

ZK BAP

Hi Hugh. Hope to have that information in the near future for you. Brian is working with a fellow modeler over there doing the math so we have a costing, importer etc. Will keep you posted as things progress. Watch this spot smiley

Regards

ZK BAP

I tried to buy the Airsail Chippy a while ago and could not find one anywhere. If it is possible to register an interest I would love to join the queue. Have flown the full size and, together with the J3 Cub but contrary to the Tiger Moth, it does not disappoint. ( Have stuck a large book down my trousers and put on the flak hat in anticipation!!) Seriously ZK if anything comes of this I am definitely interested.

Regards,

David Holland

Hi David, Great to see more and more people interested in these kits. Brian Borland is working flat out on this project, and is keen to follow through so long as the economics stack up. We will keep you posted (here) of any updates as they progress. We will be able to come up with some contact details of the importer to 'join the queue' once confirmed.

As a side note, my mate has started building his chippy from the last kit run, and i had a sneaky peek inside the box and it looks like Brian has been able to refine the bits, with the flap option all laser cut now.

Regards

ZK BAP

hehehehe the beauty of lasers aye lol. Yeh the center section dose have a few oddball shapes around it. If i ask my mate nicely he may make a few 'spare' parts before he builds....wink

What plan are you using? The fuse is built in two half's, left and right, then joined and top decked. It is important to get the taper right, hence the half's. I can remember doing a lot of shaving with the small plane on mine when i built it some time ago. A very sturdy body but light weight is the result. Lots of sanding tho, I hate sanding lol

Here is an old pic from my chippy in early stages of construction.

dhc1 chipmunk 031.jpg

Edited By ZK BAP on 20/04/2014 21:17:00

I made a rookie mistake of trying to join the fuselage as one piece....very messy. I'd love all the fuselage formers again and the wing center section is now buckled after leaving it so long in a box. It's all Airsail original plans but it lingers at home awaiting improvements in my skills....wink

Tony

Unfortunatly my mate has started the center section so those parts are already glued in place, but if your one is just buckled then you can maybe cut apart and replicate the bits, with straight wood. The fuse formers i can prob do. I will catch up with him later today and ask him if can make a set. Do you know the exact part numbers. The plans and numbers have not changed over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick. I would put the flaps on as being a scale plane the real one dose have flaps. Also I love landing my chippy with flaps down as she just slowly floats down to touch down. No adverse effects noticed on trim etc when flaps deployed.

regards

ZK BAP

I'll second both those points. Although the flap deflection on mine is only as per scale (30 degrees landing, 15 degrees take-off/half flap) the stability on approach is noticeably enhanced and I have found the take-off is (this one is difficult to describe) somehow steadier with half flap. The model flies so readily in this configuration that, with just the power of an OS 52FS, I habitually take of on half throttle in order to get a reasonably long take-off run.

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/05/2014 20:24:23

Martin, I have about the same deflection and totally agree. One thing tho, I have never actually used my flaps for a take off. Im going to try that next time at the field, because she really dose get off the ground quickly and I would like to see a longer roll too. Im sure my 61fs will be similar at about a third. What size prop do you run, ( just for curiosity ) ?

Regards

ZK BAP