Dragon Rapide over South Cambs

Martin Whybrow

I was outside this afternoon (not flying, unfortunately), and heard the sound of a twin overhead; after looking around for a few seconds, I spotted the distinctive outline of a Dragon Rapide flying directly overhead. It was dark blue, and may have been G-AKIF, which is based about 20 miles away at Duxford. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she saw it a few days earlier as well.

Advert

Hi ! As a lifelong DH fan I think the Rapide is possibly the prettiest aircraft yet designed and that includes the peerless Mossie ! Been up in one twice and was enthralled when the pilot put that lovely tapered wingtip over the Canary Wharf tower and banked it round as though attatched !! Superb !!

Compton Abbas airfield Dorset have one doing trips in July for £99 half hour. Put me down please !

Colin

The dragon is based at Duxford during the summer where it gives pleasure trips from Duxford over Cambridge and or London. Last. I heard it was run by Trevor butcher from Clacton, where he has a business. I flew with Trevor many years ago when we had shares in a yak52 also based at Duxford. Great place to fly from as I had free access to the airfield and was able to mingle with REAL pilots who flew spitfires and the like. Money, or lack thereof, forced me to give up full size about 10 yrs ago. Still RC has it's compensations, it's harder for one thing!

If you're on holiday in Cornwall this year, don't forget the Classic Airforce Air Museum at Newquay Airport - flights available in Dragon Rapide, Chipmunk and a Percival Prentice. Flew in the Rapide last year - magic.

dragonrapide 002.jpg

dragonrapide 024.jpg

I did the basic 15-20 min flight, was £60 per person last year, but I see they are doing longer tours of Corwall flights this year.

David

The very first plane I flew in was a Rapide on a pleasure flight over London from Biggin Hill in about 1978. It was immediately apparent to me there was no room for a co-pilot and the pilot looked quite old! The last plane I flew in from Duxford was also a Rapide about a year or two ago. The plane was painted silver with RAF markings,I must have a photograph somewhere? To get inside the aircraft you had to swing yourself in with a rope attached to the fuselage. During the safety instruction we were told that the escape hatches were in the fuselage roof and consisted of circular structures covered with canvas which in an emergency had to be ripped or cut open. Some weeks after our flight which was the last of the day, the plane which was on the ground caught fire around the starboard engine. I gather the damage has since been repaired.

Another Rapide at Duxford

p5150109.jpg

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 14/04/2014 12:20:48

In Berlin there's an old 'Aunty' that gives sight-seeing trips around the area. It's quite a sight, plodding it's way around. There are many Dacs. still flying too. In my opinion one of the most iconic aircraft of all time, with a shape that really looks like an aeroplane. I made my first flight in one in the 1950's and apart from the noise of the engines I remember most that very steep slope from the rear to the front of the cabin due to the fact that the Dac. is a tail-dragger. But...What an aeroplane!!