Chipmunk Nav Lights

David P Williams

I'm building a SLEC/Apache Chipmunk. It's 'sport' scale, about 1/5. It's my first proper build for quite a long time, so I've been too shy to do a build log, but I will try to do one for my next build.

Anyway, I'm getting towards the end of the main construction and starting to look at some scale detail. Hopefully some of this will be of use for the planned Chipmunk mass build even though the scale is different.

Chipmunk nav lights are quite a prominent feature :-

dhc%201%20023.jpg

dhc%201%20024.jpg

The tail light is similar - I only have a decent photo of the housing :-

$t2ec16rhjf0ff,giwohybrgoprq2ew~~60_12.jpg

I have high intensity LEDs and some nice moulded clear plastic hemispheres of the correct diameter - 10mm for 1/5 scale - but I'm looking for help with the bakelite housings.

How would you go about making these, and what material would you use?

Thanks,

David

Edited By David P Williams on 16/04/2014 17:59:54

Advert

Hi David the shapes of these are very similar to the hawker items fited to the Hurricane. You can see how i did those on that thread, I think I called it the quest?

Anyway the tail light was quite a challenge, but I made mine from Chemi wood with a std 5mm clear led as the glass bit.

For the wing nav lights I vacformed over an led and cut away a segment. I painted one led blue and one red. A layer of aluminium tape around the base, scored at regular intervals should look pretty good? I used a ring of styrene and it was too thick really.

dsc_5622 (medium).jpg

dsc_5954 (medium).jpg

More how to shots are in that thread.

I will probably do them in a similar way for the Chippy, and who knows I may even make moulds wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, I'll check back through your Hurricane thread. I have some chemiwood, and clear plastic for moulding, and a lathe, so I should be able to cobble something together. I know the full-size lenses are red and blue, and the yellow light from the bulb shines through the blue as green, but I have red and green LEDs so I'll have to check what the green looks like through blue - it might have to be green.

David

Yes I like to have working lights on anything scaleish. The landing light will switch with the flaps if it all works out. I get my lighting stuff from here - it's a dreadful website and his pdf brochure and price list is just as confusing, but he's very helpful on the phone and the stuff is good and pretty reasonably priced.

I have bright red and bright green LEDs for the nav lights so it will be green shining through blue, so may not be too bad.

Wow. That is a spectacularly bad website...

I suspect he knows a lot more about lighting than about websites. I hope so anyway! I was going to download the pdf that is mentioned, but as far as I can make out I'd have to request a copy of that! Perhaps he prints it out and sends it in the post... smile o

I have used BrainCube a number of times. Very good, would recommend.

I was the first customer of his rotating beacon module.....in fact my plane is featured on the product page. And no, I don't get paid to say thischeeky

Edited By cymaz on 17/04/2014 11:49:10

Yes they look good Cymaz, but I'm a cheapskate on a pension and Ross's stuff is good enough and WAY cheaper. You just have to be prepared to do some soldering and stuff yourself (oh - and wrestle with his brochure and price list!)

John - if you email a brochure request he will email it back to you as an attachment. Just don't expect it to be much clearer than the website.

David

Posted by David P Williams on 17/04/2014 13:09:13:

John - if you email a brochure request he will email it back to you as an attachment. Just don't expect it to be much clearer than the website.

He really must enjoy making life difficult for himself... face 22

Why on earth would you not have the PDF as a link on the website? Or better still a decent website that doesn't need a PDF to show whatever the PDF shows!

I contacted Ross some time ago when trying to sort out lighting for my Cherokee. Since I am involved in the management and design of computer applications I tactfully (I thought) pointed out that I found his site very hard work and thought it would put a few people off. His response was very off hand to the effect that it seemed to be doing the job and was getting him customers. Obviously it was his pride and joy!

Anyway, getting back on track, for the Cherokee I carved a small balsa blank for the lens covers and used that to push a piece of heated acetate through a matching hole. Quick and effective.

I spent a happy if frustrating hour or two last night trying to mould some light lenses. They need to be hemispherical on the end with a short cylindrical section attached. It seems quite a deep draw in relation to the diameter, and I haven't yet managed to produce any without creases and wrinkles, but I'll persevere with different materials. Think I need something thinner than either lemonade bottles or the offcuts I have in my bits box.