Non conventional build that may resemble an F16 XL ?

Stuphedd

Non conventional ?? Why ??

Firstly it will only have 2 followers after the first page !

No Balsa is used , well not much

a good 50% is recycled stuff , mostly from the dust bin .

Its not an ARTF

its not a Wot 4 did one of them years ago called the Milli Wot , anyone remember it ??

and it uses my building techniques which are hardly popular !

So why am I doing it ?? not sure , but it is fun , and one way or another it will fly !!

cheers

Pete

the next installment is titled "The background"

Advert

f16xl220414 004 (small).jpgf16xl220414 003 (small).jpgmy posting just disappear ??

The Avro 707A featured in the Mag before Christmas started me off .This aircraft was one of the iconic memories of my boyhood second only to the FD2.

I had hollowed out foam before so I needed a different challenge, so I decided to make a separate "power pod "

using a Lander fan I had acquired from a swap meet last year.By making a separate power system it could be used on other aircraft lander fan 001 (small).jpg The first 2 pics are the nose sections of the F16 made out of pop bottles and filled with builders foam , actually its off my Mig29 but it will do. ( pop bottles from the bin , next doors as my kids have long since gone

afternoon Tea time!

cheers

Filling in the missing bits so far ,

The Avro 707 a was a school boy favorite , I even had a Jetex powered KK one that ended up on a church roof .

The more I looked at the 707 plan the more I decided to move away , the main wing spar went thro the intake and any inlet losses that can be avoided should be , So I went looking for a delta shape that could be artisically altered and have the wings on top .

Now the F16 does not , but I think it can be “altered “ to look about right , so an F16XL was going to be the subject ,

The power pod could be made to fit a multitude of air frames , It is formed with ply rings supported on 4x6x6mm Double glazing bars. The Lander fan is supported on rings with a Morrisons fruit salad plastic container pushed on the back , an exact fit !, and has an included angle of less that 7 degs which gives a perfect outlet diameter to fit the standard beer cans !After which I have since added a thrust vectoring set up .

Now the intake is long , far too long for my liking but tests show it has sufficient thrust .If necessary I can cut holes in the side or bottom .but not if I can help it !

The nose is one like my Mig 29 . I made a wooden “plug” using a shadow projected on the wall of an airfix one to get the right shape !! once you have the plug , push a 2 litre coke bottle over it, other drinks do exist !! and use you heat gun to shrink it to shape , join a couple of shapes together , fill with builders foam , let it set and you have a very light stiff cockpit/nose assy .

Leave the screw bit on the bottle as it helps to pull it off the mould/plug , I actually use my compressor to blow it off !

The 2 first photos show the nose section .

cheers

Yes Colin !

foam in an aerosol ! from the local poundish shop at £2.85 for a huge can, slightly out of date !! that goes off before I can use it all , but it also is an excellent filled for "D" boxes on conventional wings , stops you putting your finger thro when picking the model up in a wind !!

summoned to the gardencrying

Interesting project, but, "No Balsa is used , well not much", so what are the wings made from wink

I also love to use 'what's available' and have a stack of the clear plastic packaging moldings that seem to come with everything. It's that, 'well it looks like it could be used for a ....', but they rarely get used.

I didn't get an Easter Egg this year, the clear plastic molding keep making me want to build another Catalina, (those moldings look just like the Cat's big blister windows).

My big Mig was a project just to prove to myself it was possible. My hat goes off to anyone who is willing to have a go at scratch building.

As they say, "Keep taking the tablets", as the box they came in may be useful for yet another project. smiley

Shed , 2 bedrooms , top of the wardrobe garage attic , they are all full of useful junk !

I spend hours looking at shapes of containers in shops just thinking of what they may be used for !

those little kinda flat oval plastic bottles make wonderfull air intakes/scoops for Leccy stuff, And if you form things by shrinking popbottles onto moulds thenI have spent time looking for the silver pop bottles to shrink so you dont even have to paint them !!

The 2 engine cowls on either side of my Lil Toot are formed out of silverVirgin coke bottles , perfect aid light ,

By the way the wings are ally spars and LE,filled in with Depron and will be skinned in grey depron .

cheers

The pulse jet is there for a bit of fun , I would never actually fly it !!

I have 2 pulse jets , one that works well and the other one shown in the photo , which does'nt !

They were just interesting things to make and get working , , the sad thing is the working one vanished a few years ago and I cannot find it ! Possibly spirited away by neighbours who got fed up with the noise !! I did run it at home and it very quickly gathered a crowd .It proved to be quite a fire risk , running on petrol , I tried gas without any success . It developed enough thrust to turn over my B&D workmate to which is was attached , hence a small fire then ensued from spillage ,

My granddaughter announced last weekend , that she found grandad interesting but dangerous !! I wonder why she should think that !!

Waiting for the wing to dry properly and then I will skin it , but its wet today and glue is not setting quickly , enough !

cheers