EU Directive and redundant protocols

GONZO

This may or may not be just a scare story but it would be useful if some one had definitive and verifiable factual information on this topic.

A day or so back I was reading another forum when I came across a current thread that was discussing a new EU directive that was due to come into force in 2015 concerning 2.4gHz transmissions. Basically, it was stated that the implications of this new directive on 2.4gHz transmissions would be to make redundant the majority of current RC protocols used by the main manufacturers of RC. It would not be retrospective (allowed to continue to use existing equipement) but all new equipement would have to be compliant (for us no new Rx using the old/non compliant protocols). It was stated that Futaba FASSTest and Spektrum DSMX was already compliant and those systems that were possible to update the firmware could/may be made compliant (FrSky). So, if there is some truth in this the era of cheap DSM2 Rx and compatible FASST Rx may be drawing to a close. I wondered why Futaba dropped FASST and I've noticed a shortage of stock of compatible FASST Rx, may be coincidence.

I hope some one can put my mind at rest with conclusive and verifiable proof that all is not as bad as it looks.

Advert

From what was stated in the thread on the other forum it will not be illegal to use older/existing protocols as directive is not retrospective but will mean it will be illegal to sell new items using these older/existing protocols as they will no longer be compliant - no 'CE' sticker!

The thread started out discussing how the change to 2.4gHz has effected the submarine section of the boating hobby but by the last two posts on page one had started to stray onto this aspect. On page three there is reference by 'WTWUK' to an EU Directive number, but on searching for it I did not think the reference had been quoted correctly. This is the reason I've asked the question here to get a fresh opion unbiased by previous involvement. A bit of a distraction occured over the rights of full ham licence holders part way through. As a full ham licence holder myself I am legally allowed to use 400W on part of the 2.4gHz band but not not for remote control of aircraft and additionally I have to transmit my call sign at the start of transmission and at regular intevals throughout, its part of the licencing terms. So, not relevant to this issue.

**LINK**

SB,

It's my perception that Futaba are phasing out FASST in favour of their more recent protocols not that they are suddenly dropping it.

CJ,

Yet again it's my perception that stock levels held by some supplier are slowly decreasing. I mainly use HK followed by T9 and GiantShark(just under 50% OOS) so I could have a biased view. As I said its my perception.

These are all very much side issues to the main thrust of this thread, that of information on any potential implimentation of any new EU Directives in 2015 that may impact on the protocols used for RC.

As a general rule EU Directives are not retrospective. I don't want to start the CE debate all over again. I had 8 years of that professionally. Basically EU Product Directives are supposed to be trade enabling tools. Usually (but not always) supported by ISO Standards. They are not retrospective and apply to items placed on the market within the EU or put into service in the EU after a certain date. There is usually an introductory period of 2 years. Consumers will not have to upgrade but manufacturers may have to. The US industries have fantastic networks and lobby's for digging out proposed EU directives because this is an important market and they are true global exporters. Very often they seem to know in advance.

If something becomes discontinued it is likely to be for commercial or technical reasons and very unlikely to have anything to do with a directive.

What more recent protocols?

Fasst is their top end system and from what I've read it's expensive to produce which is why you have the FHSS system to compete with the middle market. I have seen nothing to indicate Futaba dropping it's top end system. You have the new Fasstest system, but that is for the telemetry on the newer rx's. Just progress I think, not something being dropped.

Simon

2.4GHz is classed as an ISM band (industrial, scientific, & medical) and is, therefore, not subject to strict regulation, other than the EIRP limits (effectiver radiated power). I would be very surprised if this de-regulated band were to suddenly become subject to some EU edict.

I'm with Simon, FASST is Futaba's high-end protocol, FASSTesT just adds telemetry capability.

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 23/04/2014 23:42:20:

2.4GHz is classed as an ISM band (industrial, scientific, & medical) and is, therefore, not subject to strict regulation, other than the EIRP limits (effectiver radiated power). I would be very surprised if this de-regulated band were to suddenly become subject to some EU edict.

Well, whether you're very surprised or not, here's a link to the final draft of the "edict".