John's Dawn Flyer...(more likely to be noon flyer)

Advert

Posted by Phil Winks on 15/06/2014 23:02:02:

I Think you may be right Gary not sure why I said series blush never been a fan of parralell btys with out a schottky diode in line to prevent back charging, one may have helped here but also the voltage differential would prob have blown the diode any way

Phil,

May not be as costly as he thought.

The ESC and motor may only have suffered smoke damage as they would not have been the cause of the Chip (pan) fire. He might get away with re-using these.

the motor may have survived but the esc was not only just below the batteries and it was the nearest one that went but a lot of the current would've passed through it the main leads were certainly desoldered and given the bty was 20mm behind the motor my guess is it suffered major heat trauma too temperatures in there must've been knocking on the thousand degree mark for a few seconds

Oh John, sorry I've only just picked up on this. That's bad luck - I guess she just stalled and flicked in on you. The DF does fly very well - which I suppose does encourage us to take a few liberties! But of course there is a limit to even the most docile aeroplane's tolerance - and sadly it looks like you found it. sad

Still as you say I think she's fully repairable - as I'm sure you know, at first glance it looks much worse than it turns out to be when you get it on the bench.

Good luck getting it back into flying fettle for next weekend! thumbs up

BEB