How to view list of threads from a member?

SteveWMD

Hi, sorry if I'm missing something, I just got here. I have a question: Is there not a way to quickly list all threads started by a member? I'm reading the thread at http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=92691by Simon Chaddock and I am interested in his construction method, and then he says 'In my bigger Depron planes I have used balsa and Depron as a composite in structures like the main spar.' so then I want to see those threads. How do I list them out? In RCGroups (...am I allowed to mention RCGroups?) you would click on the member avatar then click 'List all threads started by ...' is there not a way to do that on here?

Thanks,

Steve

Advert

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum!

You are correct, that isn't a facility available here. Unfortunately we don't always have the functionality and ease of use of some other forums but you get used to the systems here and it works well enough most of the time​ teeth 2

However, what we lack in the software department is more than compensated, IMHO, by the friendliness, help and knowledge available here!

There's plenty of useful info in the Forum User Guides here.

Most of Simon's threads are to be found in Own Design Project Blogs

Tell us a bit about your experience and interests in modelling...

Pete

hmmm... ok. That's strange. Like I said, I'm new here, but honestly,if you are hoping to: '..more than make up for in charm, content and friendliness...' then I'd say that doing everything in your power to help users get to your great content is key. Are you not planning to add this functionality? I do some coding, I know it would be no more more complex to list threads by o.p. than it is to list threads by category - which you already do. Seriously, it would take just 2 minutes and a tiny change to the line of code that does the select query from the database. It's only one more line of code. You've done all the rest of the work, why stop here?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or awkward, I just don't understand why this not in place. It would be such a quick and easy win for you. Users would love you for it. You'd get more traffic. What's the downside?

Steve

Vote from me too for what it's worth. I always find it odd that you can view members galleries, but not their posts. I might add that my knowledge of web trickery could fit on the back of an ultra micro servo, so maybe it is not as simple as Steve advises?

Just give me a piece of balsa and a knife and I am happy smiley

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 11/05/2014 07:12:21

I'm not a software engineer.... But given that I can view all of my own posts in one place, I wonder how hard it would be to rewrite the script that does that in order to view all of another members posts.

Edited By GrahamC on 11/05/2014 08:42:46

Yes, It really is that simple, Simon.

It seems to be a popular idea, too.

As it happens I, for my sins, am a software engineer. I work on databases and websites, have done for 18 years now. Esentially, because you have done all the hard work and built the database, set up the site, got pages and templates all working, it's just a tiny tiny tweak in the instructions. When I say code, I dont mean machine code. It's not scary binary, it's ASP and SQL through ODBC, which is very much human-readable. and the logic, the meaning, is clear.

Just change the line that says:

"SELECT * FROM tblThreads WHERE CategoryID=123"

to

"SELECT * FROM tblThreads WHERE MemberID=123"

...and then go put the kettle on. You're done. Put your feet up, wait for the lavish praise.

As I said. I just got here. I am not trying to be awkward or start some kind or revolution. Just trying to make this site (and the world in general) a slightly better place, is all.

Steve

Well it just goes to show - it doesn't matter what you ask, it's who you are that counts!

My request for this feature rather longer ago than I care to remember has been waiting for simply ages, Pete gives it a little kick - and bingo we're all sorted!

Well done Pete thumbs up (can you teach that natural authority?)

Right - if you look at anyone's forum name next to any posting here, you'll see it's underlined. That means it's a link, click on it, and you'll see a list of posts by that member, most recent first. Simples!

Aha. Excellent. That was quick, so I guess I must have been right about how small a job it was

Now, if you just make it show OP threads rather than individual posts (we are trying to help users navigate through a rich area of varied and quality content, remember, so need to start at the top and then later work down to posts) and then add a link to all this from the member page eg from here:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=95714

...then we'd have something really useful.

Thanks,

Steve

Rats. My mistake, that was the wrong address. What I meant to say was

...to add a link from the member page eg from here:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/members/public_profile.asp?c=32326

ie the page that is titled as Member Profile.

But to be honest the big deal is to list out threads, not posts. Doesn't really matter so much exactly where that is linked from, I guess.

Steve

Edited By SteveWMD on 12/05/2014 15:40:08

Steve, that is a useful feature indeed. Now, I hope you don't mind me saying this but using it shows me that five out of your first six posts here are a criticism of how this forum, which up until now has has been acceptably functional for the majority, needs improving.

If you are an aeromodeller rather than a programmer, I'd rather see something on that subject, otherwise I'd suggest a more computer-orientated forum may appreciate your advice more.... smile

Pete

Pete, none of my posts have been critcisms. Rather, I would say they were helpful and positive advice. Advice towards improving the forum, in a way that other members directly supported. That advice has now been acted upon, and now I would say that as a direct result of me starting this thread, your forum now works better.

I'm insulted.

Steve

Nothing like kicking somebody down a peg or two for suggesting a good idea!

I have to say that implementing the idea is not as easy as just writing a new query, it also needs the user interface page etc and only the back office IT guys / girls will be able to say if they have the information to make the changes. As mere 'end users' we have no idea if this forum software is based on a bespoke system written just for MyTimeMedia, or if it is based on some other forum engine, or if there are staff available to spend time (and therefore money) on making changes.

In the mean time let's get on with talking about our aircraft and if new features come along in the forum then that is great