Algerbra 100 glider

Phil May

Morning all.

I've just bought off eBay an Algerbra 100 glider with the intention to bungee it and use it on the slope on those light wind days.

I'm not having it until the weekend so I can't say anymore about it. The photos show that it appears to be in decent nick.

Any one know anything of these models, good or bad, and any advice.

Cheers all.

Phil

I think the original, ply fuz, Algebra was a Sean Bannister design but not sure how it transitioned into the Dick Edmunds version with the glass fuz, I have also wondered, but would be interested to know the truth, who's design the later Algebras was.

John

Tom, the original was a Sean Bannister design (1975), that version is still in the plans range, it has swept wings a V tail. There was a conventional tail kit of it produced by Mick Reeves.
But if Phil has bought the one listed in Ebay by the chap from Skelmersdale it looks like an EMP version with a rolled ply fuselage & is very different from the original in many respects, e.g. the wings aren't swept back.

I'm guessing this is Phil's purchase - looks a real bargain to me. thumbs up

Edited By PatMc on 13/05/2014 22:23:13

Posted by John Milne on 13/05/2014 22:07:58:

I think the original, ply fuz, Algebra was a Sean Bannister design but not sure how it transitioned into the Dick Edmunds version with the glass fuz, I have also wondered, but would be interested to know the truth, who's design the later Algebras was.

John

I pretty sure the first Algebra Dick Edmunds produced was the 2 metre version (as per the 1987 Algebra 2M plan) but soon had a fg fuselage option available, IIRC it was RE with ailerons as a further option. I think Dick just used the name "Algebra" after that for his developed range of gliders that didn't bear much, if any, resemblance to the original Bannister designs.

Edited By PatMc on 13/05/2014 22:44:24

Built an Edmonds 2.5M Algebra back in the 80s. Superb model, also had the 3M and 4M versions. Didn't like the 4M, always seemed very unwieldy and would dutch roll terribly when landing in a breeze - probably would have been better with ailerons/flaps rather than RE. I used to know a very clever chap called Ken Hanson who produced glass fuselages for Sean Bannister. Ken taught me to fly after many unsuccessful DIY attempts. Think he lives in Spain now - anybody know him?

This thread gives more detail about the Algebra origins & various versions.

Cuban8, the posts by Clive Hall in the thread seem to be at variance with your info re Ken Hanson. I do know, for definite, that John Hall of Somerset made glass fuselages for Sean as I met them both at a Primrose Valley model holliday week & chatted to them about Algebra & other glass fuselages.

I think the Algebra 100 I had was from the MIck Reeves kit. It had a conventional cross tail, straight foam cored swept wings and a ply fuselage. The fuselage was rectangular in cross section and came together at the nose in a point. It was just rudder/elevator and flew very well from a bungee. In fact, I almost lost it upwards on one occasion. On the slope it was a great flyer too, landing was the problem. Actually, it met its end in a slope landing in strong wind as related in another post. I did know that there was a fibreglass fuselage version and that the model came with larger wings. The thin ply fuselage was surprisingly rigid but I found out that it didn't survive a crash very well.

I still have a EMP 3m Algebra, although my own has now been electrified.

My model has a polyester fibreglass fus. The wings are conventional foam, obechi veneered, then glass covered. At the time there was a E205 or Selig section wing, my model is the Selig

I only have a picture of the wings, having never got round to photographing the assembled model.

They are the upper set.

In its day it was a fantastic model, now an ok club everyday model. The airbrakes work, but lack the precision landing and control of crow brakes. I have considered modifying the wing to split full span aileron trailing edge, using 4 servo wing. In reality the work involved is massive as finish would be destroyed, modification being made more difficult by the thinness of the wing.

My electrification did not finish as well as I would have hoped, needing lead on the tail to move the CG back.

All in all still a good all round thermal model, made practical with brushless inrunner motors and Lipo, and small powerful servos for the body.