scale rc weightshift microlight

Advert

Excellent stuff Mark....very impressed!!

As an Ex Gemini Flash II pilot I'd say you've captured it perfectly.....even the "engine note" sounds a bit like a Rotax 503 albeit a bit higher pitched!!! If you could just capture the terror of being thrown around in a big thermal that threatens to turn you upside down every few seconds that would be the complete microlight experience in miniature!! teeth 2

I've embedded your video for the benefit of others!!!

As a matter of interest which way have you arranged the pitch control on the transmitter?

In a hang glider or microlight you push the bar away from you to increase the angle of attack and climb whereas in a normal aircraft you pull the sick towards you to do the same thing. So, in your setup do you push or pull to pitch up ?

There was a period many years ago now when I flew a full sized hang glider and RC slope soarers from the same slopes often on the same day. Thankfully there was never any confusion as it seemed natural to push to increase the angle of attack when actually in the hang glider. Thinking about it (always dangerous) the controls to bank are reversed too as in a hang glider you push the A frame to the right to turn left and vv.

I remember thinking that the rudder controls were reversed when I had a full size glider experience flight, but I don't know why. If I remember correctly you push with the right foot to turn right and vv. Do I remember correctly ?

Thanks so much for the nice feedback guys,
It does get kicked around abit with turbulance just like with the real ones, you see the trike do a shimmy every so often lol ill try and get some video on a hot or windy day to capture it but it is very similar to a real one lol.
right I feel a long winded response coming on lol
to push bar out (slow down) you pull back on the elevator stick, so vice versa to pull bar in and speed up.
To roll left then you use left aileron stick and vise versa to turn right, I was told weightshift was inefective for models but im actually going to tame the roll down a tad on it cus its abit too responsive for my liking lol.
to climb you bring throttle stick up and opposite to descend, rudder stick controls front wheel steering and also the pilots head movement, for doing the views from the wing I normally put the head movement on a seperate channel for more realism.

Edited By mark hadden on 05/10/2015 17:48:44

Ive done fpv with it before so you can just use a headtracker for the head movent then and just look around like your sat in it, cant get enough of that

the servos for roll and pitch are in a 'delta' formation so pulling elevator stick back both servos move down together to pull back of wing down (or trike backwards) then in roll one goes down and other goes up to tilt the wing (or trike weight shift to side you want to turn)
Ill try and find the video I made on my old one to explain it better.

I wanted the trike and wing to move seperate as the real ones do so I used springs and collets to allow the wing to stabilse itself and not be affected by the trike acting as a pendulum, this way the trike doesnt swing around underneath and pass that movement up into the wing which it would if it was all fixed solid by the steering arms.
this would also happen during big throttle openings as it would pitch the wing up and increase drag or even stall.

The springs also act as servo savers in rough weather or less than perfect landings :D

Thanks for enbedding the video for me I havent a clue how to do it lol

• 1 year later...
Hi guys,
ive been working on the nitro version of my microlight lately and got it to the stage where i can test it now
Gave it a few test 'hops' last night and seemed really promising with good control authority..
Its very close to the weight to the electric version so should fly very similar

Soery for the poor video but it was very dark lol
More coming soon

https://youtu.be/YgnNQlP44VA

Edited By mark hadden on 09/12/2016 11:13:18

Edited By mark hadden on 09/12/2016 11:14:51

• 3 weeks later...

I've sort of been following this project from afar and think it's absolutely brilliant ! I have a fascination with microlight type aircraft in that I love the beauty in their simple, honest engineering.

For some years I promised myself to build a model but I still haven't actually ever followed it through much to my own disappointment. However, while not on the same level as your fantastic model, I'm hoping to convert a classic type trainer into something along the lines of a Drifter.

I have a lot of respect for people such as yourself who dedicate themselves to an idea and continue to develop it so meticulously over time.

As ChrisB has said, your model is a true masterpiece and would be outstanding if available commercially in some way.

Steve.

Thankyou guys i appreciate the nice comments
Funny you should mention the drifter Steve, i started making a three axis type microlight out of an old thundertiger trainer wing and tail with a align t-rex 700 boom to join them together lol
Havent got too far into the project yet but i might start a build thread up on here soon if you'd be interested 👍

Id love to get it in rcm&e
It was mentioned a few years back but i didnt think it was up to the std of being in a magazine yet but
Ive sewn a new topless wing now with a dacron leading edge which im so happy with, the leading edge looks just like a real one now,
it was always the part i was never quite happy with and should be a more efficient wing now having a smooth LE
Hopefully soon i can get in discussions about a magazine article 👍