When Mice Attack !!!

At my club we have secure, purpose built storage hangers for models. With a growing model collection I decided to take advantage of a space becoming available, which at 35 euros for the year seemed to be a good deal.

So, last weekend I deposited 5 models including an E-flite Leader 480 and my recently completed Sebart Angel S30e.

A great day of flying beckoned today and I arrived at the club at around 08.30. I had a quick warm-up flight with my Sebart Shark which was one model I'd kept at home.........turned out to be a good move!

A little later, I unlocked the hanger containing my models. I took out the Angel and started to prep for flight which is as simple as turning on the TX, plugging in a lipo, check all is well and go fly. Only, something wasn't quite right; No beeps from the ESC and only one servo functioning.

To cut a long story short, it seems like a little family of field mice had taken a liking to the model. Close inspection revealed 3 servos with their wires eaten through up to the casing and a damaged wire to the ESC. Luckily, the models structure along with the RX was untouched. So, a fix can be undertaken but it is really bloomin annoying as I had only recently completed the model and just about had it dialled in to my liking.

I then had to check my other models: Unfortunately the Leader was a disaster!

This time, all four servo wires chewed up to the casing, ESC lead also. But there was worse to come. Upon giving the model a good shake it was apparent that there was more damage. The wings were thus removed for inspection and just about every rib of both wings was eaten away and destroyed from within. They are a completely useless and beyond reasonable/economic repair. The fuselage has also suffered some damage to it's structure.

Suffice to say, I removed the other models immediately and checked them and they seem to be fine. However, after just one week I've decided that despite the aggro of transport, my models will live at home from now on.

Steve.

PS. I hate mice!

Hi Steve , a few years ago I witnessed the attack mice and rats at the generator's wires (Coast Guard Station)
After the intervention, of an exterminator, I was told ,that mice and rats ,are most commonly used insulation on electrical wires, because it is helpful in emergency spending teeths.U otherwise with very overgrown front teeths, have a problem with food and water intake.
Not much help, but now you're better informed..l.....smile o

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 18/05/2014 18:55:55

Really sorry to hear about the trauma, Steve! Small consolation I know, but at least the other 3 models were OK.

I got a call from a neighbour last week: he'd spotted mice in our garden, seemingly attracted by the bird food SWMBO had put out. As long as they stay in the garden and don't come into the house, I wasn't too bothered. But now I'm paranoid!!!

We had a family of mice living in a draw in our laundry room - and we have three cats! I had to seal up the back of the cupboard unit to prevent access. And this weekend I discovered that they had been chewing through the toilet rolls stored in our garage! We're surrounded by fields so have to live them..

Rich

I stored a new rotary clothes dryer, in a sleeve, under my terrace a couple of years ago. Wanting to use it this year, I retrieved it to find mice had found it a great site for a nest, consuming most of the 50m of plastic washing line in the process...

Hope they got indigestion...face 5

Pete

It is well known in the electrical industry that mice chew through cables. I can remember an electrical clerk of works bringing into the first office I worked in, a piece of twin and earth cable with a mouse welded to it !.

A few years ago I bought a Keil Kraft Falcon on E-bay. When I went to pick it up the seller explained that mice had got into the fuselage. Sure enough there were plenty of mouse droppings in the fuselage and the rear bulkheads and stringers had been chewed away to a great extent. I managed to repair the damage by making incisions into the nylon covering and replacing the balsa as best I could. I have put a flying restriction on the Falcon-no stunts, and have introduced a cat patrol!

MJE

KK Falcon