Laser 160V setup teething troubles

Bob Cotsford

Advert

I have enough trouble remembering to pack the basics when I go flying Steve without having unique items for one model to confuse me! Then I'd more than likely spend a fortune on plugs using the 'special' glow start on other engines...

Anyway, the twin glow unit arrived from South Herts, just need to knock up a 4th switch - two * rx switches, one for the retract battery and now one to isolate the glow battery - don't things get complex on bigger models? The retract and glow switches are really just for storage use, when flying they'll get switched on when assembling the model and off when packing it away.

The SH glow unit can use a 1.2 to 4.2 v supply, if the supply starts below 2.5v it assumes a nickel battery and shuts off at 0.8v, otherwise it assumes a Li battery and shuts down at 2.8v, with flashing LED indicating the battery type detected and low voltage warnings starting at 1 and 3v respectively. A very clever unit, but not cheap.

In fact it's so clever I'm wondering whether I could rewire a 1600 2S1P LiFe or Lipo to 3200 1S2P as a supply. I might just take a suitable guinea-pig and soldering iron out to the garage to try.

• 2 weeks later...

1 off twin on-board glow drive from South Herts models, 2 off Perry-Conley VP20 pumps, 1 1800 2S1P LiPo converted to 1S2P and it's looks to be sorted. Fill tank, choke, switch on glow drive, back flick and it's running, needles alter the mixture just like needles should and it drains the tank in any attitude.

happy Laser.jpg

At least there's no shortage of space for it all

dscf0479.jpg

but it's a bit busier in the cowl

dscf0478.jpg

The back of the tank to the carbs is 10"

dscf0480.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 03/06/2014 15:26:45

Jon, for some reason my tacho seemed reluctant to work in the dull light yesterday, nasty cheap thing that it is. I need to get a decent one. It sounded right up in the 9k+ region, certainly way faster than previously. I was wondering about going to an 18*8 to help with the noise level as I do have a narrow APC one handy.

Colin, yes, it's different. It's just a shame BH had to use that God-awful self adhesive vinyl covering. It's fine over sheet but it's really brittle over open areas between ribs in the wing. Of course if BH had just sheeted the whole wing it would have added about 2oz to the total weight but saved leaving vulnerable areas. An appearance at Greenacres depends on whether I feel confident with it by then, it's my first model of this sort of size.

Bob, the 18x8 is likely to be too much, the 17x8 was excellent on mine and at low/medium revs you could hear the metallic ringing of the straight cut cam gears over the exhaust note. I really don't think you will have any trouble with noise.

Be aware that this model will tip stall viciously so use a very gentle curved approach and don't try to hold the model up with the elevator, just let it fly on its own. I personally would suggest a very low elevator rate and no expo to make the model as precise as you can.

Edited By Jon Harper on 04/06/2014 19:00:08

I have not owned one of these but have flown many models like this. I have also seen the video on the ripmax site where the bloke almost flips it on its back with his hamfisted approach. Flaps will help for sure as they will cause the wing root to stall first. As a general rule if you need to mix elevator with the flaps then you are flying too fast or do not have them down far enough. My La7 has very large flaps which pull the nose down slightly, I am able to control the decent using the power not the elevator. I then use elevator in the last foot or so to flair out. Whatever you do don't try and pull it in using a long flat approach with the nose high. I went though all of this in depth on another thread about a spitfire, people seemed to think it was helpful.

the biggest mistake people make with warbirds is having the elevator movement like you would find on a sport model and this make the thing so twitchy they dumb it down with expo. This causes more problems. I would be surprised if more than 12mm elevator is needed up/down.

I've got around 50 degrees of flap available, that's about as much as the linkage will allow. On my Heine I find it needs some down mixing in as it pitches up regardless of speed.

From the thread I found on RCU it doesn't appear to be bad for flicking, being quite a light machine for a warbird but I will still be avoiding sharp slow turns!