Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Hi Steve, I think you have seen mention of the Mass Build elsewhere? This was a sort of follow on to the mass build for those that have a few plan built models under their belts and want to tackle something a bit (he says tongue in cheek ) more challenging. This is not for beginners thats for sure. However we have a few chaps that haven't a lot of experience and they are doing very well indeed! Careful, methodical and accurate building will get you through in the end. But its not a quick build thats for sure!

You may notice there is a whole section on the forum dedicated to the Chipmunk builders "Chip Shop"

And a dedicated chat thread to keep the builds seperate.

Its been very popular, and a lot of fun.

The full story behind the project and the reduced price plan, laser cut parts, canopy, cowl, hinge sets etc etc are all identified in the Chip Shop thread.

Its not too late to join in, but it isn't for the feint hearted

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Hi Steve, I hope you read far enough to realise theres a 10% discount? Slec are also still doing the hinge sets, just ask for CNC Chris

Will be great to have another aboard the build!

Charles that part is for a boat, or a tank or a house! I couldn't make it work at all on this Chippy. I did fit very well in the bin though

Yes the fairings are a glue a bit see how it looks, saw it off, glue another bit on, saw that off. Good game.....

Cheers

Danny

Nice to be welcomed in, I live seriously out in the middle of 'lost land' so really do not meet any modellers other than on this site. Yes got the discount, every bit counts and adds up. I am catching up on the forum reading and quite surprised at what looks like a simple low wing trainer is such an interesting prospect to build, I may put others on the back burner to attack this with a false sense of ability.

You will have to let us know how you get on Dennis, I find I have to wipe the tip of the needle every dozen or so rivets.

Managed to get the control line leadout guide made and fitted. This needs to be adjustable via a removable wing tip. It can also be removed when the model is being flown in RC mode.

0609 (large).jpg

A similar set up will be done for the other wing where a weight will be attached.

Cheers

Danny

Taking on board what other builders have said I added a bit of bracing to the spars. Not that the wing was unduly flexible but for very little weight this has stiffened the wing even more. I only braced up to the aileron bellcrank bay.

0610 (large).jpg

0611 (large).jpg

Starting to look at covering the wing, now where is the Natural Solartex

Cheers

Danny

I couldn't resist adding a false additional rib with the correct angle

0618 (large).jpg

The sheeting has also been rebated to "fake" the angle.

Made another small sanding tool, you know I like these

This block is designed to be used against a guide, and will sand a channel, but the channel is a fixed depth and angled. This will be for the Solartex to "tuck" away in. Not sure it will work so don't copy lol

0613 (large).jpg

0612 (large).jpg

The guide is just a scrap of 1/8, once the channel is started though it is self alligning. The sam channel is cut along the leading edge to trailing edge juncture.

0616 (large).jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi Dennis, adding the shear webs after the capping strips does indeed make them more awkward. However these were very simple as I cut them all first, and then just trimmed them shorter as I moved to the tip.

The good thing about using diagonals like this is the grain is in the right direction, ie 45 degrees to the spars. If you use normal webs then the grain runs up and down. I have seen it stated (perhaps by our own professor BEB) that the webs do not need to touch the ribs at either end to still carry out their function.

I have seen a few ARTF's use this diagonal strip webbing as I have and it has certainly added stiffness for very little weight.

Cheers

Danny

That answer confuses me! I though the point of shear webs was to cross brace the spars and transfer load from the spar under tension to the one under torsion, hence the need for vertical grain.... Diagonals would seem to work only when the wing is flexing into the direction of the diagonal as that will compress the brace, but in a flex the other way they will be under pulling strain and extended offering less support and rigidity

Can we wheel out the tame aerodynamicisist for a answer!?!?!?!?!?!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 02/12/2014 18:03:02