Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

You are in unknown territory there John, the height of the fus side is affected and you don't want to make that look wrong either crook I am not sure how much I took off a 1/4 sounds about right, but as you say more would begood for the leading edge fairing. However the leading edge could also be the wrong profile, we know the tips are crying 2

And you shouldn't trust me I have just sawn the tailplane and fin OFF mine....... don't ask embarrassed

I will explain later, or it will be in the bin smile o

Tally ho, it's only balsa! SLEC have loads more where this came from

Well I spotted that the tailplane wasn't quite right a couple of days ago, and I kept my head in the cockpit, detailing bits. This was of course my way of ignoring the bigger problem at the tail. But today I looked at the tailplane with the wing attached, got the laser level out and saw how really bad it was.....

0589 (large).jpg

This picture does exagerate it somewhat, but it couldn't stay like this. I am still not sure how it has crept in, but I think sheeting the upper half of the fus is the cause. Planking is the way to go when building shells I reckon

Anyway how to remove a tailplane and fin (it was perpendicualar so didn't need treatment)

First off I decided that if I cut along the fin to fus joint, then down along the front of the tailplane seat that should free the front.

0590 (large).jpg

I clamped a jewellers saw blade between two g clamps and made myself a pull-pull saw

0593 (large).jpg

Then using one of these nifty stainless steel "etched" saw blades I cut downwards.

0591 (large).jpg

Because the blade is very flexible it will lay flat against a surface while cutting

0592 (large).jpg

So I cut away at the tailplane seat underneath.

Once the tailplane was free, I sanded the seat gradually bringing the tailplane level with the wings, using the laser level to make sure everything was going to plan.

0594 (large).jpg

Some more epoxy/coloidal silica paste was made up and the tailplane reseated, and the laser left trained on the backend while the epoxy set.....

0596 (large).jpg

Shouldn't have got it wrong in the first instance, hopefully lessons learned that even something as permanent as a tailplane that is firmly attached can be undone and fixed

You will be pleased to know it is all nice and straight now so we can move on....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 25/11/2014 17:37:24

Danny,

Both occupants survived with relatively minor injuries! yes Crash occurred in Oz.

Very nicely done alteration and well done for doing it. How many times have I meticulously set up the tail feathers and walked away happy only to look at them later and see immediately that they are out? Is there such a thing as an anti-geometry gremlin?

Terry

Thanks chaps

Well now my mind has stopped fretting about twisted tails I got on with the fairings. I was going to try a lightweight filler that is mixed with epoxy, no not microballoons, but something the homebuild guys use but it hasn't arrived yet. In the meantime I thought I would press on with blue foam. This may not be enough to get the finish I need, but if nothing else it will get the surface close enough that it will reduce any filler that I do use.

0598 (large).jpg

0599 (large).jpg

0600 (large).jpg

0601 (large).jpg

I like blue foam, lovely stuff to work and sands well. And you wont get anything much lighter

Looking forward to seeing how it looks all sanded tomorrow

By the way that's roughly 600 pics, I am going to start a second album to make it easier for me to find things......

Cheers

Danny

Hi Dennis, not swan morton though it is designed to fit their No3 handle. Its something I stumbled across when looking at acid etched parts for detailing. The blades are etched stainless steel and only 10 tho thick, this is another example (as you already know ) of where it pays to look beyond your own hobby

This is not a very good pic of the packaging, but is where I got mine from

Cheers

Danny

The wing is a challenge Steve, I have not built one quite so "entertaining" and relish getting back to a Taylor design, just wish Brian had published his Chipmunk plan!

I have just had the Dave Womersley 1/4 scale Chippy plan arrive and its very similar in construction to Dennis's crook

Anyway maybe this will keep everybody inspired, I know it has me

0602 (large).jpg

Fairing uppers are sanded, just need to focus on the leading edge sections. Soon be time to get the glass fibre out

Cheers

Danny

I've only just stumbled onto this thread, it's ok though I'm not even bruised. This looks such a great build I would love to have a thrash myself, but I don't find any mention of building from a plan? I love to take a plan and then ruin it by making all my own mods but, hey ho.

Have you used a plan as you mentioned cnc bits early in the thread?